Chapter 21

"Are you sure you'll be alright staying home alone?"

Lennon chuckled, finding his concern endearing. "Oh, Chris. I'll be perfectly fine. Dodger and I will have a movie night and hit the hay. Go on, enjoy your evening."

He nodded, hearing the front door open. "Alright. I'll call to check up on you, alright?"

Rolling her eyes playfully, she glanced over as Scott and Liam entered the living room. "Trust me, I can handle myself. I don't need anyone hovering over me."

Liam grinned, offering a kiss on her cheek. "We know. We know." He straightened up and playfully saluted her. "Love you. Catch you later."

"Make sure Chris comes back in one piece."

Scott chuckled, giving a wave. "We'll do our best. We'll be waiting outside."

Chris nodded, watching them exit before focusing his attention back on Lennon. He gently tugged her up to stand. "I love you. I'll check in later."

She nodded, a warm smile on her lips. "Have a great time, babe." A soft moan escaped her as his lips pressed firmly against hers. She groaned as he pulled away. "You can't start something like that and then leave."

He laughed, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "We'll pick up where we left off when I get back."

Her laughter mingled with his as she settled back onto the couch with Dodger, watching as Chris departed.

"Come on, bud. Let's get something to eat." Dodger trotted along as she made her way to the kitchen. She grabbed a cutting board, some apples, and a knife when the phone suddenly rang. Letting out a small sigh, she glanced at Dodger. "Looks like it's Daddy."

"Hey, babe."

"Lenny. Just checking up on you like I promised."

She could hear the background noise of Chris's friends, their voices loud and boisterous. "I'm okay, Chris..." Before she could finish, she heard the alarm sound, indicating that the front door had been opened. "Chris, did you send someone over?"

"No. Why?"

Dodger's growls caught her attention; his fur was raised on his back. "Chris, someone's here." She watched as Eric came into view, facing her in the kitchen. Dodger barked, and her heart raced. "Call the police."

Chris's voice came through the phone, tinged with concern. "What's going on?"

Dodger's warning growls continued as he stepped forward, his fur bristling. "Chris, there's someone in the house." She watched as Eric reached out and snatched the phone from her hand, throwing it against the wall.

Backing away from him, she demanded, "What are you doing here?" She snapped her fingers, calling Dodger to her side. "Chris will have called the police by now. You need to leave."

Eric shook his head defiantly. "I'm not going anywhere, Lenny."

In the midst of the tension, Dodger lunged at Eric, biting his ankle. Taking advantage of the distraction, she grabbed a knife from the counter. "Dodger!" She called him back to her side just in time to miss Eric's attempt to kick him. Tears welled in her eyes as she prepared herself, her voice shaky. "Please, at least let me let him outside."

Eric's grip found her wrists again, his demeanor unsettling. "Fine."

Sighing, she managed to lead Dodger outside before facing Eric once more. She spoke softly, attempting to reason with him. "Please, Eric. We can pretend this never happened." As she cautiously moved towards the counter, he lunged at her, grabbing her wrist and forcing her to drop the knife. She tried to defend herself, but he caught her other wrist. A forceful kick sent her sprawling to the ground, and he quickly pounced on top of her. Despite the pain and the fear coursing through her, she managed to land a sharp knee to his groin. He grunted, momentarily loosening his grip on her wrists that he had pinned above her head. The weight of his knee came crashing down on her thigh, eliciting a scream of agony from her lips.

"Stop fighting," he ordered, his grip tightening as he held both her hands captive in his grip. Leaning closer, his voice a sinister whisper in her ear, he added. "Last time was so much worse because you fought, Lenny."

Turning her head away, she avoided his attempt to kiss her, her eyes fixing on a knife lying just beyond her reach. Meeting his gaze again, she muttered. "Fine. I won't fight. Can you let go of my hands? Please, Eric."

After a brief hesitation, he released her arms, and she feigned submission by wrapping them around him, creating an opening for her plan. Seizing the opportunity, she flipped him onto his back. "You're right, Eric. You had me first. I'm sorry," she whispered, her tone tinged with a mixture of desperation and deceit. With a swift movement, she removed her shirt, his moan of approval masking her true intentions. As she leaned down as if to kiss him, her hand surreptitiously reached for the knife.

Eric's instincts kicked in, and he reacted swiftly, pushing her away from him just in time to thwart her plan. Backing away from him, she managed to clutch the knife, her back pressed against the counter. "I thought we were playing nice!" He snarled, a twisted amusement evident in his voice.

Shaking her head, she tightened her grip on the knife. "No. I hate you, Eric. You disgust me." As he lunged towards her, she swung the knife, connecting with his forearm. His pained yelp filled the room.

"Fucking bitch!" He spat, his anger evident as he struck her across the cheek, causing her to collapse onto the floor.

The stinging pain on her cheek mixed with the rush of adrenaline as he tore at her pants. Fueled by a surge of determination, she lashed out, delivering a swift kick to his face, allowing her to crawl away from him and regain her footing. In a split second, she seized a larger knife, her ears catching the sound of sirens and the front door opening.

"You're out of time," she warned him, her heart pounding in her chest. As he lunged at her once again, her grip tightened on the knife, and in a swift, desperate motion, she thrust the blade forward. The knife found its mark, and she watched as a shocked expression crossed Eric's face before he stumbled backwards, collapsing onto the floor.

***

Upon entering the kitchen, Chris spotted Lennon huddled in a corner, her knees drawn to her chest as tears streamed down her face. In front of her lay Eric on the floor, a knife protruding from his stomach. The police were already there with Chris, and he wasted no time rushing to Lennon's side. Gently, he knelt down beside her, pulling her into his embrace as her sobs wracked her body. Glancing up, he noticed Liam entering the kitchen, his gaze shifting between the unconscious Eric and them.

Liam settled down on the other side of his sister, leaning his head against the counter. He listened to her cries, offering his silent presence as a source of comfort and support.