Chapter 8

As Lennon stood outside Chris's door, she heard barking from within, accompanied by her own laughter. When Chris finally opened the door, his dog enthusiastically greeted her with kisses as she knelt down to meet the furry friend. "Hey there, buddy. It's nice to meet you!" She heard Chris chuckling and stood up after removing her coat and shoes, which he took from her. He took her hand, guiding her down the hallway to the kitchen, where he had already set up a spread of food on the counter.

"I wasn't sure what you liked on your waffles," he explained, a slight blush tinting his cheeks. "So I put out some fruit, syrup, and whipped cream. Take your pick."

Lennon laughed, taking in the variety of food he had laid out just for the two of them, including scrambled eggs and bacon. "How many girls were you expecting to feed this morning, Chris?"

He blushed even more, his embarrassment endearing. "I, uh, didn't know your preferences."

She reached for his hand. "It's perfect, Chris." She leaned up and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Now, do you have peanut butter? I'm a little unconventional; I don't like maple syrup."

Chris chuckled and fetched a jar of peanut butter from a nearby cabinet, handing it to her with a smile.

"Thanks!" she exclaimed, grabbing a plate and smearing peanut butter onto her waffles. As she cut up a banana, she felt his eyes on her. "What's up? Peanut butter and banana – one of the best combinations, right? Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate – that's pure heaven."

He laughed softly, retrieving something from the fridge and setting it on the table in front of her. "You're in luck."

With a delighted squeal, Lennon saw that it was a bottle of chocolate syrup. "You're spoiling me, Chris. Thank you."

He smirked playfully. "My pleasure, Lenny. Come here."

Lennon felt his hand on her cheek as he leaned in for a gentle kiss, his lips just grazing hers before he settled back into his chair. "What was that for?"

Chris shrugged, a small smile playing on his lips. "Because you're here." He met her gaze. "So, you never responded, but I assume things aren't serious between you and Pete?"

Lennon chuckled softly. "Definitely not. We went out again, but it's not really going anywhere."

He smiled warmly. "Why not?"

She hesitated, considering her answer. "Because I realized I was more excited to get a message from a stranger on my phone than I was to be with him."

"Me too," Chris admitted. "So, you're an art teacher, right? Carly mentioned you might be joining Concord High School to head the art department next fall?"

Lennon sighed. "If Liam and Meagan have anything to say about it, then yes. Meagan's the principal, as you might know. Apparently, their current art director is retiring, so there's an opening for both a teaching position and the department head role. Meagan wants me for both. Plus, Carly mentioned that the local community theater is looking for an art class instructor for kids in town."

He nodded thoughtfully. "And you're considering it?"

"Yeah," Lennon confirmed. "I haven't given an official answer yet. They've been pestering me, but I'll probably take it. It's better pay and also gives me a reason to move closer to my family."

Chris smirked playfully. "And me."

Lennon rolled her eyes playfully. "Right. And you, the 40-year-old who's not in the mafia. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed, Evans."

He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm sorry to disappoint. I turn 40 in a few months, and, yes, I'm not part of any criminal organizations. Also, I've been told your birthday is coming up?"

She groaned. "Your friendship with my brother is becoming a nuisance already. Yes, it's in April. Feel free to guess the date or just ask Liam, I guess."

Chris chuckled. "The 19th, right. I already asked him."

Lennon laughed at the mischievous look on his face. "Well, there you have it. No more mystery."

He grinned. "Oh, there's still plenty of mystery left. And speaking of which, there's something I'm curious about..."

Lennon raised an eyebrow. "What?"

He smiled suggestively. "What exactly were you up to in that basement at the age of 13?"

She burst into laughter. "Oh, dear. Spin the bottle, perhaps?"

Chris shrugged. "I was a bit of a dork in school, so no co-ed parties with spin the bottle for me."

Lennon arched an eyebrow disbelievingly. "Somehow, I don't believe that you were a dork."

He laughed in response. "You don't know me well enough yet. I mean, come on, you know I tap dance."

Lennon smiled warmly. "Right. How could I forget? I think that's adorable." She watched his cheeks turn a shade of pink before he stood up from the table to clean up. As he moved around the kitchen, she leaned against the counter, observing him. "I can do the dishes if you want."

He shook his head, a playful smile on his lips. "No way. In fact, I'll do them later after you leave."

Following him to the small TV room, Lennon took a seat on the couch beside him. She confessed, "I have to admit, I've only seen a handful of your movies. And I haven't seen you as Captain America."

Chris chuckled. "I actually prefer it that way. That's why I enjoyed the texting – you didn't know who I was."

Lennon shrugged. "I still don't really. I don't pay much attention to movies or actors. I'm much more into music. Now I'll have to Google you to find out all sorts of scandalous stuff."

He groaned playfully. "Please don't. Also, hopefully there's nothing too scandalous."

Lennon placed her hand on his cheek, feeling him lean into her touch. "I was kidding. I know it's usually up to the man to ask, and it might be too forward, but can I see you again? You made me breakfast. Can I make you dinner next weekend? Friday, at my place?"

He smiled, nodding. "I would love that. Don't worry about being too forward. After all, I kissed you within the first 5 minutes of meeting you."

Lennon laughed softly, withdrawing her hand. "You did. Are you planning to do it again?"

He emitted a soft moan, his lips hovering just inches from hers. "Do you want me to?"

"Yes." The word had barely left her lips when she felt him grasp her hand, guiding it to his neck before his lips pressed fervently against hers. This time, he took his time, starting with teasing touches of his tongue against hers before deepening the kiss, evoking a moan from her.

Chris moaned as well, pulling her closer and allowing her to straddle his lap. He planted a trail of kisses along her neck, making her shiver with pleasure. Gently, he tugged the collar of her shirt to the side, exposing her shoulder, which he peppered with more kisses, earning him more delightful sounds from her. He pressed his lips to the sensitive spot just behind her earlobe, feeling her breath quicken.

Lennon moaned, feeling him hard underneath her. "Chris."

He pulled away to meet her gaze, his eyes dark with desire. "I know," he admitted huskily. He sighed and carefully set her back on the couch next to him. "How about we watch a movie together before you head home?"

Lennon nodded, allowing him to draw her closer as he pulled her into his embrace. "Sure."