~ Episode 6 ~

May 1914

May 1914.

It had been a few months since the Flower and Margaret was sitting in the library as she watches her father pace around the room with great joy, "Papa, do sit down, won't you? You're going to make my neck hurt."

"I'm sorry, my darling, but this is wonderful news!"

Margaret chuckles, "I only told you that we had kissed at the Flower Show. I did not say we're getting married."

"Oh, you'll be married soon enough. This is splendid news, my dear!"

"Papa, do sit down. You'll get over excited."

He sighs as he sits across from her, "Now, what has happened since then?"

"Papa, you seem far too excited at the prospect of me being married."

Robert chuckles, "You would be marrying the man you love. I would not be disappointed. Besides, with Matthew being my heir, we would be seeing you quite a bit. Now, what has happened since then?"

Margaret smiles, "We've spent some time together. We don't want to rush into anything."

"I understand that, but a long courtship? You won't want to get married sooner?"

She sighs, "I don't know. We haven't discussed all of this Papa. We know we love the other very much, but as far as details go, we don't know. But, if we come to a decision, we will both inform you of that decision."

He nods, "Very well, I can accept that," he stands and she follows suit, "Oh, my dear, this is such wonderful news," he wraps his daughter in a hug, "This is just splendid."

"I'm glad you approve, Papa. You know I would never marry someone without your approval. It means too much to me."

"That's very kind of you, Margaret. I believe your grandmother is here. She'll be delighted of this news. I must go see her."

She nods, "Alright, but Papa," he turns to her, "Remember, we aren't engaged yet. Please don't start a rumor."

"I won't, but I'm so happy for you."

Margaret chuckles as she watches her father nearly run out of the library. Carson comes in, "Matthew Crawley is here to see you, m'lady."

"Thank you, Carson."

He bows and Matthew comes in with a smile. Carson closes the door and Matthew turns to her, "So, how did he take it?"

She smiles, "Oh, Papa is thrilled. Possibly a little too thrilled. He kept asking if we were going to be engaged soon."

"And what did you tell him?"

"That I didn't know," she says, ringing for some tea, "I wouldn't know, would I? Isn't a proposal meant to be a surprise?"

"That is true," Matthew admits, "Though, if, hypothetically I were to ask you, would you say yes?"

She smiles, "That's for me to know and you to find out. But, hypothetically, if you were to ask me, you have to ask for Papa's blessing first. Though, I think you may already have it considering how excited he is," Thomas brings in a tray of tea, "Thank you, Thomas."