~ Episode 7 ~

July 1914

July 1914.

The Crawley family had returned from London after Sybil's presentation to the King and Queen. The sisters follow their parents back into the house as Robert looks around, "What a relief to be home."

"Don't listen when his lordship pretends not to enjoy the season."

He chuckles, "When in Rome..."

Mrs. Hughes comes up to Cora, "Will Lady Mary be back soon?"

"She's staying on with my sister for a couple of weeks," Robert replies.

"So Grantham House is closed?"

"It will be by the end of this week," Cora says, "Dear Mrs. Hughes... I hope you've had some time to yourself while we've been away."

She smiles, "I've tackled a few jobs that get forgotten about when the house is full."

Margaret smiles as Robert nods, "Any local news?"

"The main topic here is the murder of the Austrian Archduke."

"Here and everywhere else," Carson adds.

Robert sighs, "I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of that. And how is William?"

"Bearing up."

Margaret sighs sympathetically as Robert looks down, "Poor chap. He has our sympathies. I think I'll wash the train off before dinner."

"Oh, before you do, Papa. Might I have a word with you and mama?" Margaret asks, "It won't take long."

"Certainly," Cora looks at Robert curiously as they follow their daughter into the library. She closes the door and faces her parents, "What is it, darling?"

"A few months ago, before we went up to London for Sybil's presentation, Matthew asked me to marry him."

"Did he?" Robert smiles, "That's wonderful news! What did you say? Did you say yes?"

"Papa, please, calm down. I did accept."

Cora smiles and hugs her daughter, "Congratulations, my dear. That's such delightful news. Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"I didn't want to steal the moment from Sybil. This entire trip was about her. My news could wait a few months."

"This is outstanding!" Robert exclaims, hugging her, "I'm very happy for you, darling."

"Thank you, Papa," she kisses his cheek, "We haven't made any decisions or anything, but I suppose you'll want to announce the engagement?"

He nods, "I'll find the time. This is wonderful!" Robert nearly bounds out of the library in joy as he heads to his room to clean up. Cora smiles at her daughter, "You've made him very happy, darling."

"He seems very excited for me to be married."

"He's just excited because you're marrying the man you love," Cora kisses her cheek, "I must clean up as well, but congratulations, darling."