~ Episode 2.6 ~

November 1918

November 1918.

Matthew has been getting used to life without the use of his legs. He has gotten a wheelchair and he and Margaret have begun to figure out their new life together. Margaret is wheeling him around the grounds. Matthew frowns at her, though she can't see his face, "I am strong enough to wheel myself, you know."

"I know you are, but let me do something. It gives me comfort."

He grabs her hand that are behind him and give them a gentle squeeze before turning back around to the front. A few soldiers and a nurse pass by, "Morning."

Margaret smiles as she notices Matthew sink a little, "What's wrong?"

"I keep thinking of William. How he should be here. Not exactly instead of me, but sacrifice should be rewarded. He was the brave one."

Margaret puts a hand on his shoulder, "You were both brave. And I don't think we can say 'should' about things that happen in war. It just happens, and we should live with it."

Matthew thinks about what she says as he nods, "I suppose you're right. Is it true Mary is engaged to Sir Richard?"

Margaret sighs, "Apparently so. Though, I have noticed she's not very happy about it. I always thought that she would be good with Evelyn Napier. The way she blushes when I mention his name."

"Well, why doesn't she marry him?" Matthew asks, curious.

"He's engaged," she replies with a sigh, "I'm very happy for him, he deserves all the happiness in the world, but so does Mary. Though, I'm afraid her reputation is close to being destroyed."

"Why?"

"Because of everything that happened while Mr. Pamuk was here. Somehow, word got out that something between the two happened, and now her reputation isn't as good as it once was."

Matthew lets out a breath, "That's unfortunate."

Margaret nods, "Yes, it is. Mary deserves so much, but she doesn't see that. I do hope she'll find a way to end her engagement with Sir Richard. I don't particularly want him as a brother-in-law."

"Nor do I."

She smiles, "Shall we head back or do you want to stay outside some more?"

"Let's keep going. I like this. The calmness of being outside. And with you."

Margaret nods and smiles, "Then continue we shall."

Margaret continues to push him around the grounds as the two of them talk throughout the walk, catching up on the time they had spent apart.

———

That night, after dinner, Margaret finds Joseph sitting in an armchair, a book in his hands, "Hi there."

He looks up and smiles, "Margaret. I haven't seen you for a little while."

"I'm sorry, I've been helping Matthew."