~ Episode 3.8 ~

August 1920

August 1920.

Margaret sits in the library with her sisters and parents, reading her book. She looks up, "I don't know why I read these French books. They make my head hurt."

    Cora smiles, looking over at her husband, "How are you getting on with the cricket team?"

    "We should be alright. We've still got Thomas, thank God."

    "Won't he be leaving soon?" Edith asks.

    He looks over, "Not before the match, if I've got anything to do with it."

    "Oh, dear," Margaret smiles, "Papa has his game face on."

    Edith chuckles, "One of the gardeners told Anna their team is in terrific shape."

    "It's so unfair the outside staff play for the village," Robert sighs.

    "Why don't you support the house and the village?" Margaret suggests, "You own both."

    "But I'm captain of the house team."

    "If I were you," Cora looks up from her needlework, "I'd be captain of the village. They always win."

    "Not always," Robert argues, "Usually, but not always," he looks at his eldest, "Mary, you look as if you're in a trance. What were you doing in London? It's worn you out."

    "Maybe," Mary shrugs, "I'll try and rest tomorrow."

    "Good luck with your planning, Papa. Anyone else care to see the twins and Sybbie?"

    "I'll come," Edith follows her, the sisters chuckling about their father's determination.

———

Margaret sits beside Edith when Mary and Evelyn walk in, seeing the paper in the blonde's hands, "What is that you're so glued to?"

    Edith looks up, "This week's column. I've got to send it off tomorrow."

    "What's it about?" Evelyn asks, Matthew sits beside Margaret.

    "The poor soldiers - how many are reduced to begging on the streets. And some officers are working as dance partners in nightclubs."

    "After the trenches," Matthew says, "even the Embassy Club must seem an improvement."

    "You shouldn't make fun of them," Edith tells him.

    "She's forgotten that you were in the trenches and she wasn't," Mary tells her brother-in-law. Margaret rolls her eyes as her grandmother, mother, and Isobel walk in.

    "She must be 18 by now. Little Rose, 18?"

    "Yes," Violet nods.

    "How scary."