~ Episode 3.1 ~

March 1920

March 1920.

The twins had just turned 3 months old and Downton was in a flurry of excitement with Mary and Evelyn Napier's wedding just a few short weeks away. The Crawley family had all gathered in the church, explaining the plan for the nuptials to the couple.

Matthew turns to his wife, "Any news of Sybil?"

She sighs, "She's still not coming. She insists they can't afford it. I'm gutted for Mary. I know how desperately she wishes her youngest sister could be here."

"And you? Surely you miss your sister?"

"Of course I do!" Margaret nods, "But she was here for our wedding. We attended hers. It's just rather unfortunate she can't be here for Mary's."

"Mr. Travis," the priest calls out, "can we move forward?"

"If I could just ask you to come down the aisle again?" Mr. Travis requests of Mary.

Mary nods and moves to the back of the church while the rest of the family remains in their seats.

"Can we get the troops organized?"

Margaret chuckles as she and Robert stand. Cora leans forward toward her husband, "It seems rather hard on poor old Travis when he's doing all the work, but the Archbishop gets the glory."

"Papa was the one who wanted a priest at the church," Mary replies, "I'd have settled for Travis."

"Mm."

"Is there really no way we can get Sybil over?" Mary asks, "It seems ridiculous."

"On the contrary," Robert objects, "it's a relief. Branson is still an object of fascination for the county. We'll ask him here when we can prepare the servants and manage it gently."

"But Sybil is our sister," Margaret argues, "And your youngest daughter. Surely you want to see her here?"

"Of course, but-"

"And if that means Tom comes because the two are married and she is carrying another grandchild, then that's what should happen. She should be here, papa. You know that."

Margaret takes her spot beside her husband and mother-in-law as Isobel mutters to the two, "He's making a problem where none exists. No one could care less whether Branson's at the wedding or not."

"You must think country life more exciting than it is if you imagine people don't care when an earl's daughter runs off with a chauffeur."

"No one can help who they fall in love with. For Mary, it was Evelyn, for me, it was you. And for Sybil, that was Tom. Though, I do agree with you Isobel, it does seem rather wrong that Sybil cannot be here simply because of who she married."

"I'm glad you think so," Isobel smiles at her daughter-in-law.

"Mr. Travis," the archbishop calls down the aisle, "are we ready?"