~ Episode 2.7 ~

February 1919

February 1919.

Margaret stands outside the house with Edith as the last of the medical supplies leaves Downton. They both sigh as they watch the car leave the grounds. Mrs Hughes finds them and Edith smiles, "That's the last of the equipment gone."

"The maids have put the drawing room back to normal."

Margaret gives a small smile as she squeezes Edith's shoulder before going into the house. She makes her way to the drawing room where she finds Matthew sitting alone. He lights up when she enters, a broad smile coming to his face.

She looks up at him, "You seem rather cheerful. Is everything okay?"

"Just fine, darling."

She nods as she continues to watch him, "You've been acting rather suspicious since the end of the war. Are you absolutely sure everything is okay, Matthew? Because you can tell me."

Matthew sighs and nods, "I felt something in my legs. Perhaps that I'm regaining feeling in them."

"Well, that's wonderful!" Margaret exclaims, "It is good news, right?"

"Of course, of course. But, I don't want to jump to any conclusions. I've been talking with Doctor Clarkson and but he thinks it's just my imagination."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He takes her hand, "Because I wasn't sure of anything. I didn't want to get you all excited only for nothing to be true."

"That's sweet of you, but if we're to have a life, I need to know these things. I don't care what happens in our life. As long as it's with you, I'll be happy."

Matthew smiles softly, "I don't deserve you."

"Funny," Margaret chuckles, "I thought the same thing."

———

The family are in the drawing room after dinner, Richard, Isobel and Violet joining them. Robert is standing up as everyone else sits down, "I nearly came down in a dinner jacket tonight."

"Really?" Violet chuckles, "Well, why not a dressing gown? Or better still, pajamas?"

"That's why I didn't," Robert says, sounding slightly annoyed.

Isobel smiles, "I like the new fashions. Shorter skirts, looser cuts. The old clothes were all very well if one spent the day on a chaise longue, but if one wants to get anything done, the new clothes are much better."

"I'll stick to the chaise longue," Violet says.

Sybil looks at their grandmother, "Granny, you don't really want to go back to the way they were, surely?"

"Of course I do, and as quickly as possible."

"What about you, papa?" Sybil asks.

He sighs, "Before the war, I believed my life had value. I suppose I should like to feel that again." Everyone looks at him in surprise while Margaret keeps her eyes on her youngest sister.