~ Episode 2.4 ~

March 1918

March 1918.

Margaret stands beside Edith as they continue to help with preparations for the concert. Edith spots their eldest sister, "Mary, the men are arranging the concert now, and they are so anxious for us and Margaret to be in it, or they'll be no girls at all. Please say you will. Margaret has flat out refused."

"You know I can't sing, Edith," Margaret tells her younger sister, "The men have suffered enough on the front, they don't need to listen to my voice."

Mary groans, "Do I have to?"

"Yes, you do," Cora says, coming down the stairs, "I'll give Margaret an exception as she's actually helped with the preparations. You must. Keeping their spirits up is an important part of the cure and so very little to ask."

Isobel comes in, "What's going on?"

"The men are putting on a concert," Margaret tells her.

"Can I help?"

Cora smiles, "Margaret and Edith have it under control."

"We will if Mary's willing to sing. Please?"

She sighs, "Oh, alright. One song, and that's your lot."

Margaret and Edith share a smile as they continue their preparations. They collect the mail and distribute it to the officers. They split up and go to separate rooms. Margaret finds Joseph in an arm chair, reading a book, "Lieutenant Blake."

He looks up and smiles, "Lady Margaret."

She chuckles, "You have a letter," she hands him the letter, "The return address says it's from Yorkshire."

He nods as he opens the letter, "Amelia is staying with her grandmother rather than stay in London. It's safer for her in Yorkshire."

"I suppose that's true," Margaret agrees, "Though, she must live not that far from here. We are in Yorkshire after all. Where does her grandmother live?"

"In Ripon."

Margaret smiles, "That's very good to know. Good to know indeed."

"Are you planning something?"

She shakes her head, "Not at all. I wouldn't dream of it," the gears in her brain began to turn, "If you'll excuse me, Edith and I have to finish the planning of the concert."

"Of course. Thank you for the letter."

She nods and finds her mother in an empty room, "Mama, is Doctor Clarkson around by chance?"

"I believe he's at the hospital. Why? Is something the matter?"

Margaret shakes her head, "No, but I've come up with an idea and I want to ask if it's alright before I do anything."

"What is it?"

She smiles, "You'll know soon enough."

She leaves the room and collects the books from the officers, exchanging them for new ones when Mary finds her in the entrance hall, struggling under a pile of them, "I'm going into Ripon in a couple of days. Did you need anything?"