~ Episode 3.6 ~

May-June 1920

May-June 1920.

Margaret stands with her husband after Sybil's funeral beside Tom. Matthew sighs, "I know we sound like parrots, Tom, but I really would like to help, if I can. As would Margaret."

"My wife is dead," Tom's voice breaks, "I'm past help. But thank you," Margaret sniffles, bringing Tom in for a hug, tears swimming in her eyes. Robert walks in.

"The guests looked for you to say goodbye."

"I was here," Cora replies. Isobel stands up.

"I hope you'll let me know if there's... anything I can do. Anything at all."

"Thank you," Margaret smiles softly.

"I'll come with you," Violet says, standing up, "Save him getting the car out twice."

"You're both very welcome to stay for some dinner," Robert tells them.

Violet shakes her head, "I don't think so. Grief makes one so terribly tired," she turns to Cora, "Goodbye, my dear. Now that it's over, try to get some rest," she looks over at Tom, still staring out the window numbly.

"Is it over?" Cora asks, "When one loses a child, is it ever really over?"

That night, Margaret sits in front of her vanity, her eyes drawn to the photograph on the desk. The day of her wedding, all of the sisters gathered together. Sybil's bright smile lighting up the whole picture. Matthew comes in, "I do wish there was something we could do for Tom."

"He wants his wife back," Margaret replies, tearing her eyes away from the photo, "But that's the one thing we can't do. Mama will hardly speak to papa. The rest of us are all numb."

"Oh, darling..."

"Sybil has always been the light in this house. She was the one who was able to bring a smile to everyone's face even in the darkest times. She... she was the one who defied papa and followed her heart. She wanted the world to be better for all women, including her daughter, who she never got a chance to name," Margaret shakes her head, shrugging, "And now there's an emptiness in this house that only person can fill, and that's Sybil."

———

Edith and Margaret sit beside each other at breakfast, Matthew and Evelyn across from them, everyone sitting in silence. Tom joins them. Evelyn looks to his brother-in-law, "How's the baby doing?"

"I envy her," Tom answers, "She doesn't know a thing about it."

The sisters share a sad look before Edith puts down her teacup, "You ought to think about getting a nurse. Or perhaps Margaret's can handle three."

"But I'm not staying," Tom tells her, "Or at least just until I find a job."

"Well," Edith shrugs, "there's no rush."