~ Recap ~

Robert Crawley had announced at the Downton Garden Party that Great Britain was at war with Germany

Robert Crawley had announced at the Downton Garden Party that Great Britain was at war with Germany. As soon as the news was announced, the party went into a frenzy, all in disbelief. They had never thought that the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand would bring the world into war, but here they were.

Shortly after being told of the news, Matthew Crawley enlisted in the Army as a Lieutenant. Margaret hadn't wanted him to leave, but knew he must as Lieutenant in the English Army and the fact that a war was being fought.

Thomas Barrow and William Mason, both footmen in the Crawley household, also enlist in the Army and are sent to the frontlines, Thomas as in the Medical Corps and William fighting alongside Matthew.

For two years, Matthew was on the front lines, only visiting Downton occasionally. To keep herself distracted from the pit in her stomach, Margaret kept to the library, drowning herself in the many books it held. Whenever he did come home, it would be short and they would spend as much time together as possible, but they still weren't married. They wanted to wait until the war was over, when they could celebrate much more than just a marriage, they could celebrate the world at peace.

Robert grew more concerned for his daughter as the years went on. She hardly ever socialized unless she had to, which was only at dinner, and he saw how stressed she looked as letters came to Downton.

Matthew eventually went on a recruitment drive in Northern England and came back to the Crawleys for a longer stay in 1916. And to say Margaret was relieved... well, that was quite the understatement.

———

A/N: It's short, but more gaps will be filled in the actual chapters. I just wanted to get this out. The first chapter for Act 2 will be out tomorrow. See you then!

Insta//tiktok: wattpad.lucy

Thanks for reading and the votes! Leave any feedback or ideas in the comments!