Part 8: Ziplining

Monday, December 13th

I wake up, having gotten almost no sleep last night. I check the time on my phone.

12:45 P.M.

I notice that I haven't received a single message from George since yesterday morning, but decide to shrug it off. 

I'll see him tonight, anyway.

I get out of bed and make my way downstairs, finding Sapnap in the living room watching something. 

"Hey," I yawn, still a bit tired. 

Sapnap looks up at me and responds with a quick 'hey' before returning his attention back to the screen.

"What are you watching?"

He doesn't respond, so I decide make my way to the kitchen instead. 

I pick up Patches' bowl, not having properly fed her in a while. I throw out her old food and decide to feed her pellets mixed with some salmon. 

I place her bowl back onto the ground and quickly refill her water bowl, as well.

A sudden wave of excitement hits me as an idea crosses my mind. 

I walk back to the living room and lean on the doorframe, staring at Sapnap. 

After a few seconds, he pauses whatever he's watching and looks at me with a confused expression. 

"Wanna do something today?" I ask. 

He lays on the couch, considering my question. "Like what?"

"Ziplining."

He stares at me in disbelief, and nods immediately. "Is the place open?"

I quickly unlock my phone and check the times.

12:00 - 17:00

"It opens at twelve and closes at five."

Sapnap jumps up immediately. "Let's go then, dude."

I stretch, and we immediately start getting ready to leave, again.

Well, for me, again.

Sapnap throws on his coat, sudden excitement seeming to fill him, too. 

I follow behind slowly, still feeling slightly groggy.

"Hurry up, dude!" He shouts from the doorway, and I quickly put on my shoes before exiting the house with him.

We start running towards the subway, again. 

Sapnap has always thought about getting his driver's license, but I already have one, and we barely drive anywhere, anyway. 

The subways in New York go almost everywhere, and they're cheaper than cars. No one in our city really uses cars since public transportation is affordable and the rent for living here is usually quite expensive.

We've considered selling the old car we have multiple times, and probably will end up doing so. 

We continue running for a few more minutes, finally reaching the entrance to the underground subway. 

We run down the stairs, and stop to catch our breath when we reach the bottom. 

And once again, people start to stare at us.

Except George isn't here, this time.

I shake the thought away and pull out my phone again to check when we have to get off the subway.