XXX. THE HARE

The sorcerer got up from the ground and patted the sand off his clothes in a smooth motion like he had done it a thousand times before

The sorcerer got up from the ground and patted the sand off his clothes in a smooth motion like he had done it a thousand times before. "Is everybody alright?"

"We are." Geralt said, putting his sword away. He must have already figured who this was. "Thank you for helping."

"Of course. But I know you would have managed without me."

"Who is this?" Ciri asked confused.

"Gideon of Elio." I stared at the man in front of us, not believing this wasn't one of his visions. Or was it? "A dear friend."

"Visna." He smiled at me.

And I couldn't help it, I stepped closer and threw my arms around him. For a split second, I thought they would go through his ghost body, but they didn't. The realisation hit me when he pulled me into a tight hug.

It was really him.

Gideon was alive.

"I thought you were dead," I whispered and closed my eyes for a moment.

"I figured from our last meeting when you asked where my body was," He chuckled quietly and gave me one last squeeze before pulling away a bit to be able to look at me. "It's so good to see you in person."

I smiled at him. "Been a while, yes. So, here is where you went after our not so victorious search."

"Not voluntarily," he sighed and let go off me. "One of the generals had summoned a portal for more dogs to come to our world but somehow our magic clashed, and I got sucked into the portal. I got lucky, I stranded elsewhere than the riders."

"Why haven't you returned yet?" Geralt behind us asked. "You're surely able to."

"I fear I won't know to way back into this world once I've stepped foot into ours," Gideon explained as we both turned to face Geralt. "And I've learned so much in the first day of being here that I tend to expand my stay for a little longer. There are things going on here nobody in our world knows of. Valuable knowledge that can be used."

"Isn't the Wild Hunt chasing you?" Ciri asked curious.

"They are. I always manage to get away once I feel their presence and so far, I'm successful. They can't keep up with my tracks and think I'm jumping between worlds."

"They sent hounds out to see if they pick up your sent." Geralt combinated. "They've noticed the portal malfunction and are trying to track you down in all worlds with the monsters."

The dogs the villagers with Gunhild's ghost killed had been searching for him but were killed before they could do anything useful. At least one mystery was solved.

"I should take my leave," he said, looking into the distance for a moment before his eyes wandered back to us. "They are already close again. Now they're not only looking for me, but for the child with the Elder Blood as well. And you have to leave as well, return to our world. This might have given you a few more hours, it will take time for them to figure out you left their world and aren't here anymore."

I grabbed his arm. "Then, come with us. We can distract them in our world, too."

Gideon shook his head. "I can't. Not yet. There are still a few more things I need to find out, then I will return to our world. It won't take long, I promise."

He added with a confident smile and gently took my hand off his arm. "I'll visit you again in a vision once I have everything I need, the connection is now stronger that we've seen each other in person. Then, I will tell you everything I know and let you know how to defeat the red riders. And other things that concern the citizens on the continent, a hopeful light is burning in me."

"Can I do anything for you in the meantime?"

"Actually, you can ... there's an artifact on Skellige that I'm in need of using ... The Sun Stone, you might have heard of it. Somebody told me it's necessary for the final battle."

I nodded. "I'm going to find it."

"I'll join you there." The Mage looked over to Geralt and Ciri. "I'm sorry I'm not more of a use of yet but I will return with reliable information about our common ... let's call it problem."

Geralt nodded. "We'll try to find out about it more as well."

"I'll create some mischiefs in laying false tracks so they think you're still with me here in this world of dunes." The sorcerer smiled at Ciri. "Be safe out there, lion cub."

"I thank you, Gideon. Truly. I won't forget what you've done for us."

"Always a loyal servant to the Elder Blood." Gideon bowed his head at her. "We will meet again."