XXVI. THREE EMPTY WORDS

My eyes widened in disbelieve, my mind could not comprehend what I was seeing

My eyes widened in disbelieve, my mind could not comprehend what I was seeing. This wasn't happening, I must be dreaming. Another nightmare perhaps? For the first time in my life, I indeed wished this was a terrible dream and not the painful reality.

They didn't hear me entering, they kept kissing. His lips moved against hers with the same passion he always kissed me. He had always kissed me.

So, what had happened between us was just a game to him. He had lied to me. I was just a toy that he kept himself occupied with. It wasn't love what he was feeling for me, I was just one of many, ready to move on when he grew tired and bored.

"Geralt?" My voice was shaking.

The call of his name made the mage jump back and she stared at me in fear, not knowing what I would do now that I had caught them. But my eyes were on Geralt who slowly looked over to me. "Why are you interrupting?"

"I-I should g-go ..." Katla stuttered and took a step closer to the door.

The Witcher shook his head but kept looking at me. "No, stay."

"No, she goes!" I spat out, my eyes flickered over to her. "Now."

With her eyes pinned on the ground with shame, the sorceress ushered out of the room, leaving me and Geralt alone. I slammed the door shut, already knowing she would listen from the outside.

Geralt rolled his eyes. "By the Gods, Visna ... what's the matter with you?"

I raised my eyebrows, trying to contain my anger that rose inside me when I noticed that he didn't care one bit about the situation. "With me?! You just kissed Katla!"

"No, she kissed me." He stated, getting up from my chair.

"It didn't look like you didn't want that."

He shrugged. "Why shouldn't I want it? She's a beautiful woman and-"

"Do I mean nothing to you?" I interrupted him in disbelieve. "What about all the things we talked about? Did you just make my doubts vanish to get what you want?"

"You're blaming me now for your own feelings? Never thought you would be this pathetic."

I swallowed hard, trying to fight the upcoming tears. "I told you I didn't want my heart to get broken. You told me you would never hurt me. And here we are."

"Do you really think I meant that promise?" His voice was cold and distant. He had never once spoke to me like that. "Are you that naïve, Visna?"

I shook my head, hopeless. Please, by the Light, let this be a nightmare. "Geralt, what is going on with you?"

He raised his eyebrows, annoyed now. "You're the one throwing a tantrum, I'm just trying to have a good time. We never said this was anything exclusive, so I don't know why you're making a scene right now."

I shook my head, a tear was streaming down my face. "I hate you."

His face remained without any emotions, like they were turned off. "And yet, you stand here and cry about me."

Something inside me died when he walked past me to leave. He had crossed my heart although he had made a promise not to. And I had been stupid enough to believe him.