XXII. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

The citizens of the village were very vocal about the monsters that were tormenting them for a while now

The citizens of the village were very vocal about the monsters that were tormenting them for a while now. A middle-aged man had seen three dogs around their home, they had attacked a few times but luckily nobody got hurt.

"Where are they now?" Geralt asked. "You drove them away?"

"These bastards are dead!" The man called out. "Hunter already struck them down, no need for freaks like you snooping around to see if you can get coin!"

"Where are their bodies?" I asked, ignoring the insult, I heard worse in my life. Something both Skjaldmærs and Witchers experienced daily. "Did you bury them?"

"Nay, burned 'em!"

"Good for you, bad for us," Geralt muttered. "Have they caused much trouble?"

The man crossed his arms. "Nay, just gave us a good ol' scare."

"Ugh, this ghost is much worse!" An old woman called out as she approached us. "The notice is out for so long, never imagined somebody would look into it. You two came at the right time!"

I frowned at her. "What ghost?"

"We believe it's our dear Gunhild, died a tragic death, just months ago." The old woman sighed sadly. "Went out at night to gather some herbs, the forest ground gave in, and she fell into a cave, broke her neck. We found her the next morning."

"Why would she haunt your grounds if it was an accident?" Geralt asked not convinced.

"I dunno," she shrugged.

"Maybe she still holds a grudge on somebody in the village," I suggested. "Can you think of somebody?"

"Aye!" The man called out. "The hunter's lass stole her man! Was to be wed to the blacksmith's son but he just left her to be with the other girl."

"Sound like a reason to stay." Geralt and I exchanged a look, both of us knew we should go after this. "Where can we find the blacksmith's son?"

"Right over there," the woman pointed us into the direction. "He's drinking in front of that house."

"We'll be back."

"Unfortunate events," I said as Geralt and I walked over to the house. "And even more unanswered questions."

He shook his head. "I guess the dogs are a dead end. The only thing we know is that the Wild Hunt opened a portal in the same area again – But for what exactly ... What were the dogs supposed to do?"

"Maybe the ghost can tell us," I joked as we stopped in front of the blacksmith's son. He was already quite drunk, although it was in the mid of a sunny afternoon. "Greetings."

He burped loudly. "'Ello! You here because of Gunhild?"

"We are," Geralt nodded. "What can you tell us about her?"