Part 50

Fucking hell ladies 50 chapters 266,296 words...

Thanks for 10k reads! It means a lot!

~~~~~

20 June 1981

9:00pm Saturday

-----

The night winded down. After the beach, you both showered and dressed.

You were out on the patio now, overlooking the beach.

It had been so bright earlier, but now it was near pitch black, the moon shining over the horizon.

It was a bit colder than before too, now that the sun was gone. You wore a cardigan, wrapped around you. There was a nice breeze in the air, still.

"There's a lot of stars out." You said to him, leant on the railing. "Don't get that in the city."

Paul was also leant, looking out at the beach. He seemed rather peaceful, mellowed out since earlier in the day. He was more quiet than before too, since you'd gotten back.

"It's like that at the cottage, too." He said. "But that's usually in the summer months, when the sky's clear."

You turned to him.

"You mentioned that." You said. "When we went last winter."

Paul made a sheepish smile, a chuckle to himself.

"Was thinking kinda wistfully." He said. "Y'know, I'd gotten used to the way it was. Having you about. Wasn't thinking too realistically, as if you'd be around for the summer. Forgetting what it was and all, thinking we were just out in the country as a couple."

"Hm." You said, pleasant. "I didn't think you meant it."

You tapped your finger on the railing, looking downward.

"In truth, I was being wistful, too." You said. "It was easy to forget, being out in the country, away from everything."

Paul was quiet still, looking out. His elbows were rested on the railing.

He had a lovely profile. Pretty lips, the downward slope of his eye. The way the hair rested on his neck tempted you, so you ran your hand up the back of it, causing him to turn to you.

His expression was neutral, his eyes lidded. It was difficult to read him like this. Your hand was still rested on the back of his neck, giving him a stroke with your thumb.

"It's funny. It is summer now, and we're still lagging about one another. Suppose it did work out that way."

"Not at the cottage though." Paul said, thoughtful. "I'm not sure we could make it out this summer, I'm afraid..."

You tilted your head. Paul's eyes shifted, a small smile at the hand touching him. He paused a moment.

"I'm going to be working a bit more in the couple months..." He said, more straight faced. "To get things out of the way, y'see. Er, you know..."

His fingers were linked as he spoke.

He'd said he'd work less, since you'd moved in. You understood a bit of his demeanor now, but you didn't mind so much. He needed to do what he needed to do. You didn't need him doting on you so much, you could handle your own.