Part 67

12 October 1981

Monday 6:00pm
-----

Today was your routine doctor's appointment. Your fifth one to be exact, the end was near.

You were sat on the recliner, your midsection exposed. It was the usual checks, abdominal scan, measurements, just to make sure everything was progressing smoothly.

Paul hovered nearby, not close enough to disrupt, but nearly so.

The doctor spoke, the appointment wrapping up.

"You're measuring quite small." He said. "You're thirty seven weeks today, nine months, but measuring about seven."

He glanced back at the both of you.

"A lot of women carry differently, though. No need to worry." He said. "In any other sense, your baby is perfectly healthy."

"Fab." You said.

"We'll be seeing you every week, ___." Dr. Foreman said. "Cause it could come any second!"

Paul came in close, kissing you firmly on the cheek, taking you off guard. He was clutching your hand tightly, as he often did during these visits.

"Are you sure?" You said, somewhat wary. You thought you were promised two more weeks or so.

"Seeing as you're in good health, it could come sooner than you think. Or perhaps, it could last a full forty-two weeks! Any longer than that, and we'll need to induce." The doctor said. He began to slip off his latex gloves, the session coming to an end. "Exiting, isn't it?"

Paul made a restrained giggling sound, as close to not giggling as he could do in the presence of another man. He squeezed your hand.

Your mouth was tight.

He was excited, but it was fair to say you were feeling more so nervous than that. But you didn't want to expel all your worries right now. Also, he already knew you were nervous. You didn't want to damper his excitement at every turn.

There was something exciting about it. Or rather, the anticipation. After all, this was something in the works for the better part of a year, and it was finally coming to a close.

You did want to see what the baby looked like. It'd be both neat and surreal having a physical little creature to touch, and actually hold.

You were happy for Paul. He'd been wanting to hold it for god knows how long, and wanting a child of his own for even longer. That was also something to look forward to, seeing Paul meet his child. In a way, it was like waiting to see the reaction of someone opening a gift that you put a lot of effort into.

But the thing was, you couldn't just see the creature, find out what it looked like, say "neat," then hand it back. You would have to walk out with it, go on and try to keep it alive.

Paul was more than pleased as you walked out of surgery, hand clasped in yours.

It was colder now, you wore your overcoat unbuttoned. You hadn't needed it since April, and certainly had grown since then. You didn't even start to show until late May.

Hopefully it would be sufficient until the end of the month, and you'd have the baby before then. You were able to do the top button at least. You pulled it closer around yourself.

"I feel like it's been ages." Paul said. "But it's gone by so quickly, too. She'll be here very soon! Any time now!"

He turned to you, eyes wide.

"I mean, she looks like a baby in there already." He said. "She has for a while, hasn't she?"

He clung to you, nuzzling your neck as you walked. His eyes were shut.