Chapter 1| Red

Chapter 1| Red

{too close to the fire, but it's the only place I can hold you tight.
In this burning house.}
-Cam Burning House

"Quick, Sage hand me the purple." Skylar said holding her hand out for the spray bottle.

I dug threw the bag quickly finding the purple can. Paint ran down the sides from being used often. I shook it hoping there was a little left.

"Shit." I mumbled. "It's empty."

"Here." Tyler said tossing me a purple spray can, from down the hall.

Catching it easily I placed it in Sky's awaiting hand.

"Code Red!" Shouted Jace, as he started running for the door.

I beat him to it, kicking the rock out of its spot holding the door open. Taking a second to spin around and admire our work. I nodded at the lockers plastered with oranges, reds, purples, and blues before I bolted for the van Nikki was waiting in. The door was already wide open ready for a quick get away. I tumbled in Tyler, Jace, and Sky closely behind.

"Go, go!" Tyler shouted as he took his spot in the passenger seat.

Before Jace could close the doors, Nikki was already speeding out of the parking lot and onto the road. I braced myself pushing my hands against the wall of the van as she made a right turn threw the only street light in town.

Jace let out a loud holler as he watched out the back window at the red and blue lights flashing behind us.

A small smile grew on my lips as the adrenaline pumped in. Tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear I moved up between Nikki and Tyler. Watching as the town we knew passed by in a blur.

"Where we going this time?" Sky asked sitting next to me.

"Vegas baby!" Nikki smiled.

Sky laughed settling behind the passenger seat, relaxed.

Pretty soon the sirens faded and the van slowed down as we pulled into Terry's.

"Another great run, you guys!" Jace said jumping out smiling ear to ear.

"And to end this great day, drinks are on me!" Tyler said wrapping an arm around my waist pulling me close.

"I'm taking you up on that offer!" Sky said heading for the door.

We all piled in taking a seat at the bar. Terry smiled at us as he made his way to the bar.

"How's me favorite crew?" He asked grabbing shot glasses and pouring them to the brim. "Where'd y'all go this time?" His southern accent breaking through even though we weren't even in the south.

"The school." Nikki replied taking a cup and placing it to her lips.

I took one bringing it to mine and smiling at the small sensation it sent through my body.

"Cops are getting better though." Jace said slamming his empty glass down on the counter top.

"Well, they better be practicing I'm getting tired of this easy get away." Tyler said pouring himself another round.