Chapter 26: Understand

Chapter 26| Understand

"Jade?" Layton's voice said.
I could hear him but not see him. I finally opened my eyes wide to see the hospital room, machine on one side Layton on the other. I turned to look at him.
"Layton."
I went to sit up but pain went threw my body. Layton forced me to lay back down.
"Press that button." I said looking at the press for assistant button.
He nodded.
"Then I'll have to leave. I'm not suppose to be in here." He said standing up but not letting go of my hand.
"I know." I said giving him a weak smile.
He leaned down and kissed my cheek. Pressing the button and turning to walk away. I griped his hand tighter.
"Layton?"
"Hm?" He said wiping a stray tear away.
"Thank you. For staying. For caring about me."
He smiled and gave my hand a good squeeze before leaving the room. Almost as soon as he left a nurse and doctor came in.
"Hi, I'm Mary Anna." The nurse smiled. "And this is Dr. Johnson."
She pulled out a clipboard and pen and turned to me.
"What is your name?" Mary Anna asked.
"Jayden Parker."
She smiled.
"And how old are you?"
"16."
"Do you remember what happened?"
I swallowed.
"Can Layton come in?" I asked avoiding the question.
Mary Anna looked to Dr. Johnson who nodded. And Mary Anna left the room.
"It's a miracle you lived." Dr. Johnson said once Mary Anna left.
"Did anyone else make it?"
"Drake Potter, walked away with minor injuries since he wore a seat belt."
"But I didn't, how did I live?"
"I honestly don't understand myself. You have a couple broken ribs, broke your arm, and may have a minor concussion."
I nodded looking over at my left hand which was in a cast up to my elbow.
"That's great." I mumbled.
"It's a miracle really. Logical you should be dead. But reality your not." Dr. Johnson replied.
Layton and Mary Anne came in. Layton quickly coming to my side. He grabbed my hand and held it. I smiled at him.
"Okay, how are you feeling? Light headed? Head ache?" Mary Anna asked continuing with the questions.
"I feel fine. Sore but fine."
She nodded scribbling something down on her paper.
"So can you tell me what happened?"
I took in a deep breath looking over at Layton you squeezed my hand.
"Tyler Harrison drove off a bridge."
She nodded writing it down.
"Do you want visitors now?" Mary Anna asked.
"Only 3 in at a time, but if your boyfriend is gonna be in here the whole time then 2." Dr. Johnson said stepping out.
Mary Anna messed with a machine before smile in and leaving. Layton and I didn't even have time to speak the door flew open and my step dad came in followed by Katie my mother.
"You never told me you knew Tyler?" Katie said as if I told her everything.
Those where the first words she told me in 6 years.
"Can you please leave?" I asked as nicely has I could.
Katie looked at me confused.
"It's just, I didn't think it would be good to just barley wake up and want to yell. I should probably take it easy."
Tom gave her a look and she left the room.
"Sorry Jade, she said she should be one of the first to come see you."
"Oh so now she cares."
"She's always cared."
I laughed, but it ended in a coughing fit.
"Maybe this isn't the best thing to be discussing right now." Layton said looking at me with concern in his eyes.
"Your right." Tom said. "Just know Jade that I'm here for you." He said kissing my forehead. Before leaving.
It felt weird to have someone. To have a parent like figure that actually cared.
Next came Lindsey and Stella. They both wrapped me up and Layton had to pry them off.
"I'm so sorry, I should of done something." Stella bawled.
"It's not your fault. Tyler was a tricky guy you had to know him to get around him."
"I called the police right as he threw me in. Then Layton, but he was already on his way. How did you do that anyway? I thought your phone shut off?"
I looked to Layton. He held up his phone the message I had sent was on the screen.
"It actually sent?"
He nodded.
"Right as I got it I called the police."
I smiled.
"I can't believe you didn't tell me you where going dress shopping!" Lindsey shouted.
I smiled at her.
"Just kidding we can go later."
"But I don't think your coming tomorrow." Layton said.
"It's a shame, who's gonna wreck the party with me?" Luke asked walking.
I smiled at him as he came over and gave me a hug. Jared, Mark, Becky, Payton, Ryker, and Nick followed in after him.
"I thought only 3 at a time?" Layton asked.
"There's no one stopping us." Ryker said sitting in a seat beside my bed.
I rolled my eye sand he winked at me.
"Hey but we brought balloons." Jared said holding them out.
I smiled at him.
"Tie them on the foot of the bed." I ordered.
He did so.
I wanted so badly to ask where Tucker is seeing Nick over in the corner a little uneasy scared me.
"Oh Jade. I'm sorry you have to be in this place." Becky said.
"It's fine really." I reassured her.
She gave me a weak smile.
"Can I sign you cast?" Ryker asked pulling out a hot pink sharpie.
"Go for it." I said holding up my arm that had a black cast around it.
"Um, excuse me but I believe that boyfriends get to write first." Layton said.
"And your point is?" Ryker smirked.
Layton glared at him and swiped the marker from him. I laughed at them and moved my arm to Layton's reach. He took up as much space possible writing Layton and a heart around his name.
"Now, if anyone signs inside the heart they are gone have to answer to me." He threatened.
Mark chuckled.
"I'll do what I please."
Layton sent him a death glare and he held his hands up in surrender.
Ryker grabbed the marker and wrote on it. 'Jades favorite guy.'
He smirked at Layton who glared at him. Which made me laugh even more.
"Hey I gave you a chance mister." I said to Ryker.
He laughed.
"I got to go to baseball practice I'll come visit you again." Ryker said hugging me and leaving.
"I didn't know what got into him, he was super happy." Luke said.
"Hey, where's Tucker?" Layton asked looking around the room and landing on Nick.
Nick fiddled his fingers and bit his lip.
"Tucker? I have no clue, he was outside with me but then he came in with me but he went to the bathroom. Did mention something on leaving tho. Had something to do I think."
Layton nodded.
The door opened and Dr. Johnson came in followed by Mary Anna.
"Now what did I say about having only 3 people in here at a time." He said shaking his head at us.
Mary Anna held the door open for them to leave. Layton stayed tho.
"You have a lot of people who care about you." Mary Anna smiled at me.
"Ya, I guess I do." I smiled at Layton.
"I'll be back to check on you." Dr. Johnson said grabbing a clipboard and leaving.
"Do you need anything?" She asked.
"No, I think I'm fine. Thank you." She smiled and patted my shoulder before leaving the room.
Once the door closed Layton turned to me.
"Okay, you can stop pretending your okay." He said.
"I am okay."
"No your not, I can tell your on the verge of tears."
I was quiet. Was it really that easy to notice? I scooted carefully over and patted the bed next to me. Layton happily climbed in next to me and wrapped his arms around me. I laid my head on his shoulder taking in his cologne.
"It's okay to cry in front of me." He whispered stroking my hair.
I did I let all the tears that was piling up go.
"I could of talk him out of it. Saved him and Nina."
"He was determined."
"I know but I rather have him alive at me and mad then dead and mad at me."
"I know. I just don't understand how his done all these horrible things to you and you still care about him."
"Its complicated. You wouldn't understand how it feels to have the one person you trust turn around and hurt you."
"No, I don't understand but I think I know someone who might."
"Who?" I asked wiping my tear soaked cheeks.
"Tucker."
"Tucker?"