Chapter 12: Happier

Chapter 12| Happier

"So I never got the details on the date." Jenna said from beside me.
"I did." Lindsey bragged from the other side of me.
Jenna stuck her tongue out at her.
"Well he took me up in a helicopter and we had a picnic on top of the world." I replied opening my locker.
"Amazing." Jenna squealed.
"It's just a date."
"A very fab date." Lindsey added.
I rolled my eyes grabbing my binders.
"Oh! I have exciting news! I heard James Little is having a party at his house this Saturday." Jenna said jumping up and down Lindsey joining her.
"Since when did I become friends with 4 year olds."
Lindsey rolled her eyes.
"You know you love us."
I only nodded, feeling the pain of guilt wash over me. I shouldn't even have friends. Or at least this good of friends. I'm a bad person. I know exactly what Tyler's next move is and I'm sitting here doing nothing.
"Jade. Are you even listening?" Jenna said her hands on her hips.
"Ya, I'm listening."
"No your not, anyway are you going to come with us to the party?" She asked.
"Oh that's not a question. You are coming." Lindsey replied as Jenna pulled me to our 1st hour.
I waved to Lindsey. We sat down in our desk and acted like we where listening. Class went by fast and soon the bell ring. I darted for the door not wanting to hear anymore math things. I made my way to LA I dreaded it tho. Ryker was in it. Usually we have a nice conversation before class starts but now he hates me. I mean who wouldn't I lied to him. I took my seat and started on the self starter up on the board. Once Mr. Smith started talking my phone buzzed.
I rolled my eyes knowing it was Lindsey. Pulling it out it read. Ryker.
Ryker: why won't u go talk to the FBI?
I rolled my eyes looking over at him. He was sitting in the front of the row next to me I was in the back of the class.
Me: I don't have anymore knowledge than they do
Ryker: I know u do. Your friends with a criminal.
Me: his not my friend.
Ryker: well it sure did seem like it last time you called him
Me: well that's before he ruined it.
Ryker: ruined what?
"Mr. Williams." Mr. Smith said, making me sit up straighter.
"Uh, yes sir." Ryker replied slipping his phone into his hoodie.
"Would you like to come up here and read your text." He more demanded than asked.
My face heated up and I started to panic. Ryker was gonna tell everyone in the class that I know Tyler Harrison. I bite me lip hard. My hand shot straight up.
"Yes Ms. Parker." He said.
"May I go to the restroom." If he was gonna do it I didn't wanna be here.
"After we hear Rykers text. Carry on." Mr. Smith said turning towards him.
Ryker shook his head giving me one glance before scrolling through his messages.
"Well I was texting Collin."
I sat there froze what did he just say.
"We where talking about the party this Friday and his date a few days ago."
"Mr. Williams. Read like everyone else has too."
I rolled my eyes Mr Smith was a mean teacher.
"Okay so Collin asked me if I was going to the party.
I said I will if you know who is there."
All the students sat up and listened.
"Rykers crushin!" A kid that sat behind Ryker said.
Ryker chuckled.
"Then Collin said. Ya dude I'm sorry about that. I didn't me for it to go that way.
Then I said. No it's fine Collin really I have a couple more in mind." He turned his phone off giving me a small smirk. I knew he just came up with that off the bat.
The class came to life talking about Ryder's texts.
I was shocked. Did he just lie for me?
The bell rang and I quickly gathered my stuff. I caught Ryker in the hallway.
"Did you just lie for me?" I asked.
"No, Mr. Smith never cleared with me what text to read."
I looked at him confused.
"So you really had that talk with Collin."
He nodded turning the corner and meeting up with some of his baseball friends.
"Hey, Jade."
I snapped my head to the sound of the new voice.
"Hi."
"Ok so heres the thing. I really like you and stuff." Collin said scratching the back of his neck.
"But, I just think it would be best of we where just friends."
I didn't know whether to be happy or sad. Happy because I really truly like Ryker or sad because I just lost what could of been an amazing love story.
"No, no, I agree. I mean you are cute and all but I'm just not ready for that kind of thing. You know?"
He nodded.
"Ya, and sorry about that almost kiss." He said not making eye contact with me.
"Oh no it's fine. Friends?" I said holding out my hand.
A smile spread across his face.
"Friends is great." He said shaking it.
We headed to our classes not talking another word about it.
*****
"Okay Tucker. How's this Friday to work on our project?" I asked as we walked to Layton's car.
"Can't." He shrugged opening the passenger door.
"Why is that?"
"Jake Little's party, your going right?"
I groaned.
"I hate parties."
"That's because your a party pooper." He smirked at me.
"So Layton how was your day?" I asked turning my attention to Layton.
"Great! And you really should go to Little's party. His are always the best." Layton said smiling at me through the rearview mirror.
"Fine I'll go if you'll leave me alone." I said.
"Oh so you'll say yes when he asks but not when I do?" Tucker protested.
"If you haven't figured out yet I don't really like you."
Layton started laughing as Tucker glared at me.
"I hate you." He mumbled.
"Glad to hear the feelings mutual." I smirked.
"Oh, Nick wanted me to ask you if you would participate in the school talent show." Tucker said changing the subject.
"Is Nick over it?" I asked.
"Can you be anymore dumb. His on the school council. Of course his over it. We need actually entertaining music." He said turning to Layton.
"I don't know." Layton responded.
"Oh come on Layton. It would be fun!" I said nudging his shoulder.
"Easy for you to say." He mumbled.
I laughed.
"So will you do it?" Tucker asked.
Layton rolled his eyes.
"I'll think about it."
"Good enough for me." Tucker shrugged.
*****
I walked up to my room after getting a snack. I dropped my bag down in my chair and looked up to be splashed in the face with water. I closed my eyes spitting out the water. I heard laughing and opened my eyes to see Mark and Jared with water guns. I dived for the other side of my bed.
"This is no fair I don't have a weapon." I shouted as they continued to spray me.
"It's fair to us." Mark laughed.
"And to think you two where the good ones."
"I got bribed into doing this." Jared protest which made me laugh.
"Just come out from behind your bed I promise we won't squirt you." Mark said.
"Throw your guns across the room." I ordered.
They tossed them where I could see them. I got up and turned to look at them only to get water in my face again. I looked and saw they had backups.
"Your just planned aren't you?" I said glaring at Mark who only laughed.
I grabbed there water guns they had surrender and ran out the door. Leaning up against the wall around the corner, once they came around I got them before running off down the hall. I ran into Tucker who's eye lite up at the sight.
"Here let me see one." He said and I tossed him one.
The boys came around. The corner and we started spraying them.
"Tucker come on our side." Mark whined.
Tucker did.
"What?" I said shocked.
He shrugged. "Brother before girls." And started spraying me.
My clothes where soaked. I gave up and tried to cover my face from the water. I couldn't help my laughter and realized how boring my life had been back then. Once Wyatt left I had no siblings I never had fun like this. The closest thing to a brother was Tyler. It felt great to have the guys mess with me. I've never had this, I had always longed for it but never had it. Right now it was great and I couldn't be any more happier.