CHAPTER 3 - ARC 1: BLESSED HEROES

Nearly 2,000 years of darkness have cursed the world to face hordes of monsters and bouts of natural disasters of biblical proportions

Nearly 2,000 years of darkness have cursed the world to face hordes of monsters and bouts of natural disasters of biblical proportions. Cities have fallen into the ocean, mountains have crumbled, fires have erupted from the ground, storm clouds block out the sun, demons stalk in the untamed shadows, and wickedness grows in the hearts of men more every day. The only thing that has stopped cruelness from ruling this world, is the lethargy that has grown with that evil.

For so long, there has been too much evil to fight, and no one attempting to fight it.

So today...

Today was the first sunset the world had seen in nearly 2,000 years.

And it was quite the event.

All the citizens of Cornelia were there to see it, sitting on rooftops to get a better view or even venturing outside the city to set up camp under the setting sun. Children were dressed in costumes that resembled the heroes, and they played pretend battles against monsters that were now nowhere to be seen. Adults played music, and danced and drank and laughed for the first time in most of their lives.

That was before the heroes even returned home. They were met with raucous applause and an escort of not only knights, but civilians as well, all thanking them and trying to pull them out so they could join in the celebrating. For now, they turned down these offers, in favor of carrying out the rest of their mission.

Soon they were at the castle gates. Ceremonial torches lined the path, banners hung over the castle walls, and the castle guards wore the noble armor of their ancestors, saved only for special occasions. It had been many generations since these uniforms were brought out of storage, and the heroes could see the proud looks on the faces of the knights that were lucky enough to wear that ancient armor.

The heroes were taken to the throne room once more, and there was held the happy reunion of the royal family. Sarah parted from the heroes and ran to her father who stood to greet her. Beside them, the Queen Jane and Sarah's younger sister Mary.

As Sarah sat down with her mother and sister to talk about her little adventure, the King addressed the heroes who knelt before him.

"Thank you for returning my daughter to my side," King Winters said earnestly. "There can be no doubt you are the Warriors of Light from Lukahn's prophecy!" He left his throne and approached the heroes, motioning for them to stand with him. "You should hear the prophecy in it's entirety. If I may..."

"When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come. If they cannot gather the shards of light, the darkness will consume all. The four crystals will never shine again..."

Conner nodded, understanding what the prophecy meant. "Gathering the shards of light; those are the gems we hold, yes?"

The King nodded. "The very same."

"Then, the four crystals that will, 'never shine again'..." Conner waited for a response.

To this, Emily answered. "The crystals that once tamed the world, protecting it from evil. There are stories where I come from about such things, but, we always believed they were myths."