CHAPTER 5 - ARC 2: THE SLEEPING PRINCE

The Aldean sea was vast, distant shores something that were impossible to see

The Aldean sea was vast, distant shores something that were impossible to see. The waters themselves reflected the dark sky above them, making the depths look murky and opaque. It was just as hard to see into the waters as it was to see the horizons, but there were clearly monsters living here as well. Some of them threatened to knock the ship over, but none of them seemed quite strong enough to pull it off. Besides, Ava's Thunder magic was more than enough to take on the aquatic monstrosities and the ship was sturdy.

All things considered, the group was quite glad to have run into Benjamin. Without his help they most likely wouldn't have obtained this ship, or been able to make the trip across the sea to the home of the Dwarves.

There was an old city far to the west, Melmond, where hopefully they would find the Sage Sadda. That was their ultimate destination. To get there they had to pass through a channel that was gated by the Dwarves who lived on Mt. Duergar, but that wasn't really an issue. Half a day's trek up to the city after docking, the signal is given, half a day's trek back and then they sail on through to Melmond.

Great plan. Solid plan. Nothing could possibly go wrong with such an amazing plan.

"I will not permit you to sail the channel."

The heroes were stunned silent, all kneeling to the throne of the Dwarven King.

"But, your highness," Conner pleaded through a clenched jaw. "This mission is of the utmost importance. We must continue west!"

"I see you wear the mark of Cornelia," King Torq said. "I have seen on the horizon the opening in the sky. I have no doubt that you could survive the journey."

"Then why?" Bruce asked.

"Because if those gates open," King Torq said solemnly. "My people will not survive. All the evil that haunts the western lands would spill through, and my kind will suffer the consequences. I hear Melmond has already fallen, and that does not bode well for us."

Conner shook his head. "There has to be something we can do."

King Torq thought for a moment, genuinely trying to come up with some kind of an answer. He couldn't. "... We simply do not have the forces necessary to take on an army of pure darkness."

"Could you get help from Elfheim?" Ben suggested. "They're only a ways south, yeah?"

"... King Erdrick died some time ago," King Torq explained, a pained look in his eyes. "His son, Prince Hiro, had ruled in his father's place ever since. But for the past five years..." He tapped his finger on the arm of his throne. "I suppose..." He shook his head. "No, even if you are Lukahn's heroes--"

"All due respect your highness?" Conner said bluntly. "Skip it. What do we need to do to pass?"

"You're a bold one aren't you?" King Torq growled as the other heroes grimaced. "Very well. If you believe you are capable, then go see what has become of the Elves in their foolishness." He glared down at Conner specifically. "If you... succeed... then we can re-negotiate the opening of the channel."