CHAPTER 17 - ARC 6: LAND OF MYTH AND MER

It was difficult to feel intimidated in the Cave of Dragons when every dragon was excited to see Eos safe and sound

It was difficult to feel intimidated in the Cave of Dragons when every dragon was excited to see Eos safe and sound. She fluttered around the cave saying hello to all the friends she apparently hadn't seen in nearly a hundred years, according to what the dragons themselves claimed. It didn't seem either dragons or fairies aged, but given that Bahamut was supposedly older than the world itself, the heroes didn't feel it necessary to argue.

When they reached the great pit at the end of the cave, Eos shouted into the void. "O' King Before the Darkness! Your heroes have returned!"

The mountainous head of the Dragon King rose from the pit to greet his ancient friend, saved at long last. "It is good to see you unharmed, tiny one."

Eos kicked him in the nose, which amounted to nothing. "I would've expected you to tear this prison of yours in half to find me..." There was a great mix of emotions in her words, from the excitement of seeing her old friend again, to the sadness of her words themselves, to the optimistic tone she tried to mask everything with. "Now that I am free... will you be escaping as well?"

"I'm afraid not, dear Eos. At least not yet." Bahamut then addressed the heroes. "And it is good to see you returned victorious. Though, there was little doubt that a mere emissary of Death could stand toe to toe with the powers of a primordial God." He narrowed his haunting yellow eyes to focus on Ava. "You have done away with your mask... Have you turned your back on the tribe which granted you your Magics?"

Ava stared him down, undeterred. "I abandoned the cult a long time ago."

"Good!" Bahamut roared. "Those heathens did terrible things in my name, but if a few hundred years of their blasphemous rituals resulted in a hero such as you, I'm glad."

Ava gave a proud curtsy.

"Now..." Returning to his serious nature, Bahamut looked up at Eos. "These heroes need your help, tiny one. They have felled two of the four Fiends which poison my world and imprison me. Tell me; where are the others hidden?"

Eos thought for a moment, light dimming as she tried to remember ancient rumors that would help lead them to the right location. "Well..." She floated down to the heroes to speak to them directly. "I don't know much about the Wind Fiend, other than he lies to the east. But if you head west, to the city of Onrac, you will find a tribe of peoples I once knew... If they're still alive. The Mer. They used to tell me stories of a great beast that slept beneath the waves before waking to terrorize them."

"If this beast is awakened," Conner started. "Wouldn't it be easier to find? It shouldn't still be locked away like the last two."

"I don't know," Eos admitted. "There are so many monsters across the northern world, perhaps you're right and it is amongst them, or perhaps it-- like the others-- needs to remain close to it's crystal to guard it."