CHAPTER 22- ARC 8: SOMETHING LEFT BEHIND

No one had any idea what happened, but suddenly Matoya came in, claimed Chaos had been revived despite the Fiends being defeated, claimed that it was Garland who had done this despite being dead, and then she died in Conner's arms

No one had any idea what happened, but suddenly Matoya came in, claimed Chaos had been revived despite the Fiends being defeated, claimed that it was Garland who had done this despite being dead, and then she died in Conner's arms. The other three heroes were barely standing up from the table when next came the loud rumbling outside.

The earth shook, and for a moment it felt like the castle was going to collapse in on itself. But just as quickly as it started, it settled.

"Warriors of Light," the voice of Bahamut was immediately recognizable.

The heroes rushed to the nearest balcony, where the mountain sized dragon was clearly visible from. Crouching, Bahamut's head was at eye level with the balcony halfway up the castle where the heroes stood.

"Bahamut," Conner called. "What happened to Matoya and the others? Are they alright?"

Smoke billowed from Bahamut's nostrils as he contemplated saying the truth. Many other occupants were aware of his presence and listening, and he didn't want to start a panic. "There is no time. Steel yourselves, heroes, you are needed once more."

Conner nodded, pulling the others away. "I guess we're in for one more fight."

___

For this mission, in the name of the King, the heroes were given the best weapon and armor available.

Conner was back in red armor now trimmed in gold with magically imbued crystals set into the steel. A chest piece with large pauldrons and a short blue cape with the Cornelia crest of a golden lute, gauntlets, tassets bolted into his belt, and sturdy greaves made up his defense. He was also given a buckler shield that would become a tower shield when needed, and a crystal bladed bastard sword that was light, swift, and could produce flames.

Ava was given a dark blue dress and a black shawl with runes stitched in gold. These were ancient White Mage runes, that allowed old wizards to reduce complex spells down to a single word. On top of it all she was also given a set of light chest armor and pauldrons painted a soft blue, as well as a pair of golden elbow length gloves. The only thing she retained from her old clothes was her yellow pointed hat which she was still fond of.

Benjamin wore a golden tunic wrapped in belts and daggers. He still wore the bandana from his pirate days, but he was given sturdier boots that could keep up with his speed and wouldn't wear out, as well as similar gauntlets to Conner for added defense, but he rejected wearing too much armor as it would only weigh him down.

Luminia took Matoya's cane, feeling the power emanating from it. Then she wore her traditional red robes with black trim over a nearly full set of thin plated black armor from her feet to her neck, leaving her arms unarmored for better movement. Letting her hair down and fixing her feathered cap, she pulled up her mask to finish concealing her face.

The heroes moved quickly. In a matter of minutes they were armed and ready, but before they could climb onto the back of Bahamut, they were stopped.

Sarah was having trouble finding the words to say, only able to stand before them pale and shaking. Behind her, Prince Hiro gave support. "Find them," he said solemnly. "Whatever happened, whatever it takes, just bring them back."