CHAPTER 9 - ARC 3: BLOOD OF MELMOND

The waters were choppy, the winds were cold, and the heroes rode in a choked silence towards their destination

The waters were choppy, the winds were cold, and the heroes rode in a choked silence towards their destination. The air was stale, the sky was black, and the heroes neared the first steps of their long awaited quest. The earth was cracked, the monsters were watching, and the heroes solemnly walked the path away from the Dwarven Channel towards the western mountains. At last-- though on the worst of terms-- it was time to begin the quest they'd set out on nearly a month ago.

Conner set the dynamite and everyone stood a fair distance away. Ava would have to be the closest to ignite it with magic as it had no fuse, but if she had reservations about this she didn't show it. Still, Conner made her agree to fasten his shield to her back so she had something to protect her.

"Okay," Conner called from beyond the blast zone. "When you're ready."

Ava began drawing her magic from her spell book. Her fire spell only worked on a biological being, so it was time for her to use the other spell in her arsenal. "The power of life... sparking!"

As soon as the spell was cast she kicked off the ground, flinging herself backwards as hard as she could. The passageway-- previously blocked by an avalanche-- exploded as it was struck by lightning, flinging shards of rocks in every direction. Laying face down, Ava curled up, protected by Conner's shield which she'd strapped to her back. As the dust was settling, the others ran over to help her up.

"Thanks," Ava said, removing the shield's harness and handing it back.

Conner almost didn't hear her, his and everyone else's eyes fixed on the opening in the passage. Through the narrow canyon walls there was a declining path that led down through the other side of the mountains, and in the distance they could see the city of Melmond.

It was surrounded by a ring of fire, and covered in a shroud of black smoke. Even from the mountain pass, miles away, they could see the giant monsters that stood guard outside the city, outside the ring of fire. Even from here, they could hear the faint laughter of some wicked demon. Even from here they could feel the great and terrible evil they were walking into.

But even that wasn't what surprised them.

Staring back at them, from right behind where the passage had been blocked, was a group of survivors who'd fled Melmond. Covered in dirt and soot, barely wearing more than rags, they all seemed weak and tired and starving. They were twelve in total.

One of them, a man a little more put together than the rest, reached out to the heroes. "Have... have you come to save us?"

"Are you all that's left?" Bruce asked, stepping forward before Conner had a chance to speak. "Is there anyone else trapped in that city?"

The man hung his head. "There are hundreds more still in Melmond. We escaped through the old mines. We believe the Vampire isn't aware of--"

"Whoa, Vampire?" Benjamin gasped. "Like... the whole fangs and cape deal?"