CHAPTER 10 - ARC 3: HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING

"You have defeated Astos, the dark Elf King and Vampire of Melmond, but he was only a servant of the Earth Fiend Lich

"You have defeated Astos, the dark Elf King and Vampire of Melmond, but he was only a servant of the Earth Fiend Lich. The beast corrupting the Earth Crystal lurks in the caverns south of here on the Devil's Tail peninsula. I have sealed it with my old magic, but I only managed to contain the Lich. However, Astos stole the key-- a black gem-- and there is no other way in."

"I have it. We found it in his hoard of stolen treasure at the Western Keep."

"Ha! Further proof that it is your destiny to fell this beast. This will be the greatest evil you heroes have ever faced, all else beforehand only a trial on your journey to complete this terrible destiny. But you have all you need, you are ready. Go now with confidence, for I know you will succeed. Go, and restore the crystals to grace..."

With that, the heroes wasted no time on their travels south. They finally had a solid destination, they were prepared for what was to come, and they were all ready to start this quest they set out on over a month ago. Soon-- by way of a horse-drawn carriage this time-- they were close to the cavern entrance at the Devil's Tail. The closer they got though, the stronger they felt the wicked presence emanating from it. Eventually they could see the great maw of the cavern, stalactites like teeth dripping with blackened rain, making the whole thing look like some skeletal beast waiting to eat them.

The horses refused to go anywhere near it, so they'd have to continue the rest of the way on foot. As the heroes disembarked the carriage, the horses turned tail and ran back to Melmond. It wouldn't matter, considering either way they wouldn't be needed again. If they didn't die horribly here, then the hope was that they'd bring light back to this corner of the world, ridding it of monsters as they had done for Cornelia and the Shrine of Chaos.

"I guess it was a good thing you led us on those side quests," Bruce muttered. "Otherwise we wouldn't have happened across that gem."

"Good fortune favors the bold," Conner nodded, holding tight to the gem.

"I thought Ava had it though," Bruce said suspiciously. "How'd you get ahold of it?"

Conner shrugged. "I know a guy who knows a guy who's friends with--"

"Alright forget it," Bruce huffed.

Conner laughed. "... We didn't know it was important. She gave it as a present."

"A present?" Bruce chuckled, glancing back at Ava who was walking a bit behind with Ben and Emily. Well, not exactly walking since she never really walked, but they'd all gotten used to the way she just casually hovered a few inches off the ground at all times. "From her?"

"Right?" Conner smiled. "She's great."

That wasn't a topic Bruce felt like diving into without the proper equipment, so he kept his mouth shut the rest of the way. Or, he was going to, but then the ground started shaking.