CHAPTER 24- ARC 9: A CRUEL FATE

For 2,000 years the world has been shrouded in darkness

For 2,000 years the world has been shrouded in darkness. Civilizations have risen and been crushed by the hoards of vile monsters that torment the world. Once, long ago, bright crystals irradiated with life giving energy kept the world in balance and light, but when the great evil came it took the light away. The crystals were oppressed and snuffed out, and powerful Fiends appeared to guard them. Two hundred years ago, those Fiends began to wake. First with the Wind Fiend, Tiamat, in the northeast. Then a hundred years later, the Water Fiend, Kraken, in the northwest. Soon it will be time for the third Fiend, the Fiend of Earth, Lich, to wake in the southwest.

But a prophecy begins to make the rounds, that Four Warriors of Light will arrive in Coneria bearing crystal shards resembling the great world protectors. And lo, they appeared before the King. A young Black Mage boy named Eli, a woman practitioner of the Martial Arts named Grace, a grizzened old White Mage from the last war named Colt, and a traveling bandit named Markus chosen to lead them. They knelt before the King who offered them a test of might. Rescue his daughter from a traitorous knight, Garland. The Light Warriors readily accept, and set out on their first quest.

It is a rough trek through monster infested land, but banded together the Warriors grew to understand each other and their unique fighting styles. Under the common goal of saving the Princess, the heroes marched bravely into the Temple of Fiends where Garland waited. Colt ensured they had the durability and stability to stay alive during the fight, Eli fought at range to keep Garland occupied, Grace went head to head against Garland with brute force, and Markus kited Garland into traps and the other heroes' line of fire. Together, Garland was no match for them, but when he was defeated all that remained was a strange Black Orb resting on an altar. They were thankful however that Princess Sara was alive and unharmed.

Returning to the Castle Coneria, the Warriors were met with little celebration, as many of the people still feared the darkness closing in on them from the rest of the world. But though the King may have been leary of the Warriors when they first arrived, he now entrusted to them the full truth. Garland had intended to amass the power of the four Fiends to revive the God Chaos, and the true mission of the Light Warriors is to put an end to the Fiends once and for all. Having learned that their journey has only begun, and that a long tiresome adventure is soon to come, the Warriors rest and celebrate in this moment of peace that was 2,000 years coming.

Soon they are sent out again, this time their destination the old Kingdom of Pravoka to the west. When the Warriors arrive, they find the city ravaged by pirates. Bikke brags of his misdeeds, and-- furious with such a cruel man-- Markus wastes no time cutting him down. It is war then between the Warriors and the pirates, but the Warriors have great magic on their side. When the dust and ash settle, the heroes find that the people of Pravoka had handed over the town willingly, in return for their lives without trying to fight back. The Warriors explain their mission to save the world, and are told to leave, but a turncoat pirate offers them his dead captain's ship before disappearing in the crowd.