CHAPTER 18- ARC 6: FOR THOSE WE LOST...

The first thing Conner asked for was everything known about the shrine itself

The first thing Conner asked for was everything known about the shrine itself. Layout, magical traps, damage done over time, creatures currently inhabiting it, etc. He was given a map, but there was no way of knowing the condition of the shrine at this date. As far as anyone knew, there were no magical traps, but the Black Mages were secretive people so it would be best to expect something. As for monsters in the area, Sahagin's, Ghosts, and Sea Trolls were the most common to that area, other than the Kraken which they would most likely find closer to the crystal.

The second thing Conner asked for was a way down to the shrine. He was less pleased with their solution to this, but there weren't many alternatives. The heroes were taken to a sort of indoor pool, where... a barrel was floating in the water. It looked big enough to hold the four of them, but it didn't exactly feel airtight. Still, it was promised to take them down safely.

Lastly, Conner asked for knowledge on the Kraken itself. It's been around for 100 years, surely someone would learn something.

"We believe it's susceptible to electricity," Dr. Unne told them.

"You believe?" Conner asked.

"Most aquatic life are," Dr. Unne shrugged. "That's... the best we have."

Conner shook his head. "One hundred years... No one's seen it? Fought it and lived? Heard stories?"

Dr. Unne sighed, staring at the barrel bobbing in the water. "We know it exists. According to the locals, Onrac sank when it's tentacles came out of the water and crushed the land around it, but that's the most anyone's ever seen of it."

"Tentacles that are big enough to sink a whole city," Lumina mused. "The beast itself must be immense."

"Good," Ben scoffed. "The bigger the target, the easier to hit it."

"That's not how it works," Luminia countered. "If you kicked a mountain, would you expect it to fall?"

Conner tapped his foot on the ground. "I mean... right now, or before we were given superhuman powers from an ancient dragon?" Lumina narrowed her eyes and Conner patted her shoulder. "Look at it this way; A mountain is a solid object, but this thing-- no matter how powerful it is-- is a living thing with squishy insides."

Luminia's eyes widened again when she realized what Conner was suggesting. "That is not happening!"

"Only as a last resort!" Conner promised. He gestured to the barrel. "Now, let's get on with it."

Luminia shook her head in exasperation and climbed into the barrel. Just with her weight it looked like it sunk a little, but it didn't seem to be taking in water. "You're sure this is the safest way?"

"Built it myself!" Dr. Unne nodded. "It may look a bit haphazard, as it was put together by pieces of wreckage, but I assure you it's as safe as anything."