*Day Twenty-four- Extinct

"Um.... how is that possible?" Farley asked.

"It should not be." Makena said.

"It CAN'T be." Keith insisted.

"I am telling you, it IS." Agatha said sternly.

------------------------------------------

"Everyone, please let's not get overworked."

"Natalie is right." I say.

"Dominique? Are you saying you believe this?" Farley asks.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"Please, just let us, well Agatha, explain." Natalie implores.

"Yes, that would be a good idea." Zeke agrees, "are you able to sit up on your own now?" he asks Agatha.

"Yes, thank you deary." Agatha says.

----------------(one longish explanation later about how magic is real and was used many a time in the past)-------------

"Alright, so magic did exist long ago." I confirm.

Agatha nods.

"But isn't it extinct?" Farley asks. Agatha, Natalie, Zeke, and Kala look starkly at him. They seem a little offended almost. "Think about it." He insists. "Before like today most of us wrote it off as absurd. The world has almost completely dismissed magic for centuries. Yeah, occasionally there were high points, but it hasn't exactly been around."

"He has a point." Keith says, "look I don't want to offend anyone, but magic is practically extinct."

----------------------------------------

Instead of getting mad and defensive, like everyone thought, Agatha put her head down in sadness. The others didn't fully realize at first. Kala also felt this deep sadness within her.

"Unfortunately, it almost is." Agatha said in a heavy voice. Any whispers that had started fell silent.

"Like I said earlier, magic used to be almost everywhere. There were witches and warlocks, necromancers, mediums, and spiritists. People who practiced divination, sorcery, casted spells, interpreted omens, and others who engaged in witchcraft and consulted the dead. While we were not everyone nor everywhere, many places could be found to hide us. Throughout hundreds of years, a few thousand actually, the number of magic holders went up and down in streaks and troughs. This latest trough has lasted a long time. There are people of mine who fear that it will never recover from this one."

There was a shush among the group. Many of them felt bad for Agatha, and Kala and Natalie too. For John, Farley, and Dominique though, they felt terrible because they didn't feel bad for the alleged magic holders.

After a few minutes, the teleporting trio came to the resolve to help the others with their problem. Everyone met eyes after another few minutes. It was time to complete their mission and solve the, oddly still unspoken, problem.

---------------------------------

We wanted it to be a one mountain scale later  situation, but no. We got stuck (again) half way down the cliff.