*Day Five- Raven

"Mum! I am going to send to Catherine." I call.     
           "Alright, but I need Shadow or Peck this evening." Mother says.       
            I walk over to our pet ravens. They are a way to send letters to others quicker. We have two ravens. We are a bit poorer than our neighbors so they all have 4 to 7 ravens. I call Peck over. He is a young raven so we only use him for the village letters. And occasionally a little farther.     
            I can't go to Catherine's for a few reasons. One, her mother had triplets recently and she and two other sisters are charged with helping take care of the four year old twins and the flower garden. Her 4 brothers are doing other chores around the cabin, barn, and farm. I also cannot go to Catherine because I need to do work around my cabin too. And the biggest reason we can't get together is because of the small plague. There has been a small outbreak recently so all the women and children are staying home while the men and young workers are doing work.     
           I finish my raven message before attaching it to Peck's leg and tell him to go to Catherine's. There is not a safety concern with Ravening as the village is not getting together right now. I throw Peck out the window and watch as he flies away before closing the window.       
          I then go back down the stairs to help Mother. She puts me on pot duty, stewing supper, as she sows. The youngins are being way too rowdy. Mother tells them off while I caught one around the middle as he almost burned himself. Being stuck inside is hard for their ages.   
          My elder sister comes over to me with the new baby girl.     
          "Switch off with me please, Sister. You are better at calming her down. I got Theodore down though." she asks.         
          "Yes, of course, Clementine. Be careful though, our little siblings have been running around." I warn her.         
           She nods and we switch. Mother seeing her daughter crying hushes the four little ones. For being a grandmother and having ten children, she is very strong and youthful. Having gotten Victoria asleep I go and lay her down. Then I had to do other work on the endless list. The raven back from Catherine will be a great relief in this endless cycle of life.  

(A/n This is set in the past btw.)