•15•

Caius lay on Elenora's bed, filled to the brim with simmering anger that begged to be unleashed but, unlike his brother he would not be so quick to be overcome with it

Caius lay on Elenora's bed, filled to the brim with simmering anger that begged to be unleashed but, unlike his brother he would not be so quick to be overcome with it. He knew that it had been a bad idea to invade her privacy in such a way. There were bound to be things she held close to her chest, secrets she wouldn't want them to know and he was almost...honorbound to respect that–despite his temperament he wasn't so irrational as to disrespect her in such a way.

The anger inside him clawed at his mind, twisting it and pushing him to the limits of his control, craving to be set free but he couldn't. Aro had done enough damage for now. From what he could hear a majority of the lower guard had unfortunately been disposed of. It was...regrettable but it was no great loss to him, they were pawns that would be easily substituted.

What perhaps angered him the most was that Aro had essentially invaded her mind for no reason and instead of helping he had made things worse. Much worse. There was no time for them to be told of what he had seen, as soon as he had released her hand his eyes were swarmed with complete darkness–almost as if he was no longer sentient behind them, like he'd been shoved to the back of his consciousness.

Nora had been so petrified of him that she had actually screamed, so loud and so gut wrenching he could still hear it ringing in his ears. It had taken the little will power he possessed to not make an attempt on Aro's life at that moment, his instincts thirsting for blood, to get rid of the thing that was causing his mate so much distress.

He thanked the gods that Marcus had been there.

His brother seemed to be the only one of the three of them with an air of sanity, there to hold him back when he had eventually rushed toward his mind reading brother with murderous intent. Aro hadn't even seemed to notice, within a second he had vanished from the room and the first agonised scream was heard.

Marcus had ordered him to stay with her before leaving, following the trail of dead bodies that would lead him to Aro. Normally being ordered and bossed around would have stirred his ire but he was in no mood to put up a fight. He didn't want to be separated from her anyway.