Episode 3: The Rock Box Dump

~Swellview Park~

"What the fuck is she doing here?" (y/n) growled after she'd punched a guy and taken a step back for a breather

"What the fuck is she doing here?" (y/n) growled after she'd punched a guy and taken a step back for a breather. It was another night, another load of criminals to beat up in the park and things had been going well for Miss Danger, Kid Danger and Captain Man. They'd arrived in a timely manner and had promptly gotten to the ass-kicking, slugging each man as they tried to fight back, but all in all, it wasn't a tricky situation. Well, it wasn't until a certain bitchy TV reporter arrived on the scene.

News of the three superheroes in the park had spread through town quickly and no sooner had they heard about it, KLVY News had sent everyone's favourite reporter, Evelyn Hall, down to get it on camera. She wasn't happy to be there, (y/n) wasn't happy she was there and together, everyone was in for an awkward interview. The ex-flame of Captain Man still hadn't gotten over the bitterness of their split and sought to denounce and embarrass him at every given opportunity, so Ray's current girlfriend wasn't too keen on her either; that, and every time he saw her, Ray seemed to get all emotional.

He never got sad, not even angry, but (y/n) got the picture that knowing Evelyn was another one who got away, irked him and that didn't sit right with her. Yeah, they were going strong and he'd sworn that the reporter had never meant anything to him and it was just one of those stupid, meaningless, little flings he used to have, but seeing him get flustered over her presence and how she claimed to have moved on, well, who wouldn't feel threatened?

"Thanks, Trent. I'm here in Swellview Park, in fact, this was the place where I got engaged last month to a man." She overheard her say as she fought back against a dude who used her momentary distraction to thump her in the back. Yeah, that would leave a bruise if she wasn't Miss Danger, but what concerned her more was how irrelevant that last piece of information was. For fuck's sake, she was rubbing it in Ray's face since he was metres away from her, definitely listening in and it didn't take a genius to know that this was one of her snide little comments.

"Hey, kid, sweet girl, there's a news crew here!... Be right back." Ray shouted, obviously not hearing his girl's annoyed growls earlier. He smoothed back his hair and sauntered off to go get interviewed, even though his two, experienced but not that experienced, sidekicks couldn't fight alone. They needed some of his muscle to take these guys out, 'cause without him, they were seriously outnumbered, not that he was listening. A news crew and a chance to shine for the masses to adore him? He couldn't miss that.

"What?!" Henry spat, looking at his boss and at (y/n) with terrified eyes as the criminals regained their strength and stood back up. With no Captain Man, beating up a skinny kid and small woman would be piss easy, but that wasn't the only thing Henry was worried about.

He knew Ray meant no harm, he knew that his smug, big-headed self just wanted to look good on camera and how he probably didn't recognise the woman holding the mic (she wasn't special enough for him to just know her like that), but he was just making things worse for himself and the relationship he wanted to protect. He should've left Evelyn alone and continued fighting to show his girlfriend that he didn't care about all that shit but he didn't. He wanted to propose for Christ's sake, but he was paying attention to the wrong girl, an idiotic move that would cost him down the line. And the idea of Ray losing (y/n) like that shook Henry to his core more than the thugs ever could.