June

It was June. We arrived in Minas Gerais and made our way to a town on the outskirts of the capital, a church-infested little place with steep narrow streets covered by cobblestones that meandered up and down various hills. The entire place held a typical long-forgotten aura, though it was a somewhat new settlement by my standards. To those native to that country, it was old enough to be preserved and in my eyes, it was a fairly pretty place in its own way.

I had Felix, Demetri and two lower guards with me. It was usual that Jane and I were sent to these missions separately as we were the ones the potentials had to match when being tested, so she was more often than not testing someone else in some other country as I was taking care of my own assignment. The potential we were sent to test was part of a trio but there was not a whisper about her two companions. With any luck, they were also gifted, but I was not particularly hopeful of that.

The three of them were by the entrance of a bar -yet another thing that the city did not lack at all. We arrived around seven in the evening, there was barely anyone inside the bar and no one else outside but the three vampires.

"The small blonde."

I nodded to Demetri and ordered Felix to go before us to announce who we were and what we were there to do. He had a standard speech by then, always the same words voiced apathetically. Few words, no more than the strictly necessary to not waste too much of our time if our visit ended up being fruitless.

The potential slowly approached Felix, scared and cautious. I could barely bring myself to pay attention but did hear her name was Marina and yes, she had a gift though not a very strong one. As she spoke with Felix I started to use my gift since it takes a bit of time to work, and made my way to the two of them.

"Show me."

She looked at me when I spoke and I could tell she knew who I was. Her eyes widened slightly, she hunched her back almost unnoticeably and reflexively took half a step back.

I smiled at that.

"It's not much, really" she repeated, starting to retreat closer to her coven mates. "Not enough to block yours."

I did not stop at that. I kept walking to her and did not call back my power.

"I mean it, please" she tried once more, already verging on despair "please, it's not much, I can't!"

"Do your best."

She whimpered and just as I could tell she would attempt to escape, so could every other vampire nearby. I kept walking at a steady pace and watched the mist of my gift begin to touch her. Her coven mates stood perfectly still, too afraid to offer aid and wise enough not to try to run with her.

She bolted and was immediately caught by our two light grey coats, each grasping one of her arms. They held her in place as my mist engulfed her small frame. We all stared intently, some curious and some anxious about her performance. I noticed one of the other two of the trio fidgeting in my peripheral vision, a brunette boy. The man by his side tried to soothe him by mumbling something in Portuguese to which I was too uninterested to listen.

The girl in front of me stopped fighting to break free and unleashed her gift.

It was disappointing.

She was not completely numb but she was hardly blocking me either.

"She could be trained" I heard Demetri suggest softly from my left, but I was already done with all of it and ready to go.

"We'll take her."

I released my gift with full force as I said it and the girl went limp. She could barely stand her ground when I was holding back.