Discipline

Yes, Alec, let's see you squirm for a change.

I couldn't be completely sure of Alec's true feelings for me but if Aro was sincere in our conversation then I had much more in my hands than I had ever dreamed of. He had explained to me how powerful Alec was in regards to his gift and the notion that I had any kind of influence over him just felt even more surreal. If it was true that he was in love with me, if it was not just a trick to make me wish to stay there in that castle and serve the kings forever, then I had much more power than I could ever fathom.

I had to put that to the test.

You can do this, Marina. You can play this game too.

I was not as sure of that as I had to be to beat him but I had to try. I needed it, I needed to see him crawl.

It was so much more difficult than it looked like in my head.

Catching him with his guard down was absolutely amazing and I would never forget his reaction; the way he tensed and his breath hitched, the sheer incredulity written all over his beautiful features, the fact that he couldn't move not even long after my power stopped working on him...

But it had affected me too and way more than I could afford. I miscalculated, I needed to keep myself in check to get it right and the way I touched him ignited a spark in my core that spread like wildfire. I quickly put some distance between us before I lost myself in him again, like I had done time and time again, and crossed my arms and legs to prevent myself from moving towards him. He fortunately seemed distracted enough to not notice that he was not the only one on the edge of a precipice.

Any little wind would push me down at that moment.

I tried to avoid his touch after that but there was not much I could do if he really went for it. I could only hope to control myself, to consciously breathe at a steady pace and pray that my heart didn't give me away. I needed to get the upper hand in any way possible.

I saw my opportunity when I mentioned Corin and he looked about ready to collapse.

Here it is, the tiny little wound in which I have to shove my finger.

"Corin and I are good friends. There is nothing more besides that."

He was trying to appear calm but I could see it was a facade. I knew him enough by then to see through its cracks, even if I didn't have his advantageous vampire senses.

"Not right now perhaps, but what about before I came along?"

He would be sweating if he could.

"Are you jealous? You don't have to be, I'm all yours. Forever."

My heart got louder and faster in my chest and his smile of satisfaction told me that he noticed it.

Don't let him win, don't back down.

"I don't know about that. You two will keep living in the same building, I should stay away from that mess."

"Nothing will ever happen again, we never harboured romantic feelings for each other." He approached me and I leaned back on the wall behind my bed again, but he kept advancing. He sat back on the bed with me but so much closer that time around that our legs were touching. He hesitantly reached for my hand one more time and I allowed him to take it.

Another miscalculation.

I thought he would just hold it but he brought it to his lips and kissed my knuckles. A very low sigh escaped me and he heard it loud and clear. He smiled mischievously and pressed his mouth against the inside of my wrist, teeth scraping the frail spot.