Marina

I always knew I had been cursed with darkness. I knew it from the moment the venom spread through my body, taking every ounce of humanity I once had and I was informed that I would be deprived of light for eternity: the light from the sun that I could only feel on my skin in the privacy of very few secluded places, and the light from my own soul, that stopped irradiating it to give place to the shadows where my inner predator took shelter.

I never minded it. I had the moon and the stars, and the nightlights. The time I once used to sleep I could use to study and discover new things and places, bathed in the light of elucidation. I had the glistening glaze of blood reflecting any light in the most enticing way, mouthwatering and glossy. I was perfectly content, so much so that I never realised that I was not fulfilled.

And it was not the same. It was definitely not even close, it was so far from that. I couldn't know, being aloof and adrift as I was, but I finally noticed what I had been missing when I looked down to Marina finally bathed in blood just like I had dreamed of seeing her and when I ran my tongue along her skin to lick it off of her just like I had imagined myself doing so many times before.

This is it, this is how I want to feel for eternity.

She was scared and she was crying but I couldn't stop, it was too much. It was too good. We were so close to her transformation that I couldn't bring myself to care, I just wanted to seize that moment, that sole moment when I would have the chance to make that reverie become reality. My only chance of tasting her before she was one of us.

And when I kissed her it was all forgotten, she was once again lost. It was nothing if not supernatural tricks my body used to lure in the weaker but it didn't matter, I thanked both Nature and Hell for them. She was so easily affected, it was beautiful to watch.

The feeling of it absolutely overwhelming.

She was too warm, too soft and too frail but that barely distracted me from my enjoyment. I couldn't be too rough and her skin seemed to burn mine but nothing came close to being uncomfortable, not when she sucked on my neck and pulled my hair, nothing could feel anything but amazing when she scraped her teeth along my jawline and licked her own blood from my lips.

"You're ruining me" she would repeat in soft whispers in between her ministrations and I smiled at the confession, drunk on her.

It sounded more like an accusation, to be honest.

"You have never looked so beautiful as you do now."

How could it have taken me so long to even notice she was beautiful at all? She was evidently the most beautiful human I had ever seen as she held my face in her hands, uncaring of the blood I spilt everywhere on ourselves and around us. Her cinnamon-coloured complexion, flushed beneath the tan undertones, her plump lips slightly parted to give way to her soft sighs, her wavy hair going down to her clavicle — a brown that was so close to black...

I could really just eat her up.

And then her thin fingers, calloused from holding pens and paint brushes, and pricked by needles she used to sew book signatures, those fingers ensnaring my wrist so wrathfully as if she truly believed she could stop me with one mortal hand and a few hollow words...

I wished she could choke me with those fingers.

I had missed just that during all of the time I had existed and it had a name, a word I murmured so quietly against her moist cheek that she couldn't hear me, as if her skin absorbed it just as it did to the tears and the blood —

"Passion."

Yes, I had been missing that and once I finally had it I was ruined too, because I could never go back to how I was before her, I could never return to the real darkness I once lived in. I had seen true, blinding light and could no longer accept anything less than that.