Jane

I finally had time to sit down and talk to Jane after seeing the masters. She was waiting for me in her room and embraced me as I entered, lightly kissing me on the cheek. I kept her hand in mind as she spoke.

"Brother, you took much longer abroad than I expected. What was the cause of such delay?"

I sighed.

"There was never an opportunity. A calm human life offers little danger, and so she has no use for her gift. I tried to be patient but then had to create one."

"I have missed you. You will not go back immediately, will you?" She inquired hopefully.

"I will. Right away."

She was distraught upon hearing this but I soon added:

"You are to come with me."

She smiled brightly and then laughed.

"How wonderful. I am eager to meet this girl." She did sound excited but I was a little less enthusiastic about that encounter. She noticed my hesitation. "You think I will disapprove of her?"

"You might."

"What makes you think that? You approve of her, don't you?"

Not quite, which feels more than a little conflicting.

"She is human," I shrugged.

"Not for long" she reminded me.

"She is very young."

"So are we" she smirked and I chuckled.

She went to her wardrobe and packed a few items. Not many as we would not be staying for an extended period of time. We should arrive, collect Marina and leave. The only thing that it entailed was the need to cover up her sudden absence with a death scenario for her. Nothing else would be necessary as long as she didn't know of our true nature.

"She is probably using her time away from me very unwisely" I commented as she finished her packing and we walked down the corridor.

"You scared her. Will she run? Demetri will be disappointed to miss that."

"It serves him just right for betting on my failure."

She hummed in agreement.

"Yes, I have scared her. I did apologise but she was still upset. I advised her to stay away from her boyfriend."

"Advised?" She echoed with a teasing tone.

"A mere suggestion."

"Oh, Alec. She would have left him regardless, you are by far the superior choice. You had no patience."

"And I have to hear this from you of all people."

She laughed and I took her hand again, holding it as we made our way to the car outside the castle.

"She will have more than an entire day to try and run from you if she would attempt it. How far could she go?"

"Not far enough." I countered happily. Even without Demetri she could never outrun us, she would just risk angering me again. If she happened to have the boy with her I would definitely take the chance to tear him apart.

I didn't know if she would try to escape. I suppose I frightened her but she didn't know what I truly was. Without that piece of information it seemed unlikely that she would leave her home, her job, her studies and her friends out of fear. I was sure that she would go to him though and that was enough to spark in me the desire to hurt him as much as I could.