Catharsis

She didn't even try.

She didn't stray far at all. I was surprised by that given the amount of time she had. A considerable head start she did not use. She must have imagined she was unwatched as she inched farther and farther away and no-one stopped her but the eyes we had on her simply had no permission to interfere. In a way I felt she wanted to be found and the idea nearly soothed me. She couldn't bring herself to simply wait for me to return because that would be admitting to herself that she did not wish to escape, but leaving the state and getting caught allowed her to maintain her own lies to herself.

"They are so like children, are they not?" Jane said as we waited for the sun to go down, watching Marina and the human boy from afar. "They don't know what they want and even when they do they cannot accept it. Don't know what is best for themselves." She sighed with faked sadness. "Someone must choose for them and still they defy it for the sake of rebelling. What is left is to force obedience."

I laughed and turned to her.

"It is quite lovely in a way, is it not? To see their innocent attempts at making their own decisions and then have them fight for control and lose."

"It is lovely," she agreed, "and I suppose you will enjoy her defeat so very much."

I certainly would. I could almost feel myself tingling with anticipation. Most of all I would enjoy the boy's defeat greatly. Watching my Marina with him for hours in the old streets of that city only fueled my desire to take my time and savour his death. I pictured numerous different scenarios as I saw her touch him and laugh at his jokes, I could hear his screams in my head every time she used terms of endearment to refer to him, every time she kissed him.

It was dreadful to watch. I felt feverish with the impulse to lunge at him every time she kissed him. She did it so easily too, softly and carelessly, nothing like the way she had kissed me, and I consoled myself with the thought that she would never feel so intensely for him as she did for me and that was why she was so mild when she touched him.

As the sun made its disappearance they conveniently split ways. He entered a store and she sat outside to wait for him.

More like to wait for me, alone and in the dark.

I wanted to go there and just take her as soon as she sat down on the bench but Jane was ready to fight me on this.

"You go have the boy first, I will talk to her. Girl to girl."

She giggled and made her way to Marina, who opened her bag to look at something inside. Whatever it was, it had her full attention, she was abstracted enough that she did not notice the sun setting or Jane sitting by her side.

I looked at the coffee shop the boy had entered earlier and caught sight of him through the glass doors, standing in line. I went inside as well and stood by the doors to intercept him on his way out.

There was one security guard in there. At that point in time I had enough knowledge of the human to anticipate his reaction to my presence with some accuracy and thus I knew he would follow me out of the shop to wherever I led him in hopes of preventing me from going to Marina. He would even try to hurt me, he must have wanted to make me suffer for upsetting her so much though he could never achieve such a thing.

It happened just as I expected.

Upon seeing me by the doors on his way out, a coffee cup in his hand, he stopped abruptly. He took a few more steps towards me after his initial shock and I could tell he was ready for a confrontation.

"Fuck, you really did follow her" he hissed, hovering over me in what he must have thought was a menacing manner, "how very brave of you."

I smiled.