Victory

I did not go to my room after hearing the kings' decision. I shared it with Jane and needed to be alone with my thoughts, so I made my way to the library. As I approached it I made sure it was completely vacant and passed some time going through a few volumes, all the while allowing my mind to wander. Usually, I would pass right by the fiction section but at that difficult moment I was assaulted by an abrupt wave of nostalgia. I began to reminisce about my first days with Marina, the ones right after meeting her for the first time, and automatically reached for her favourite titles as if it could make up for her absence. I resented her as I assessed the consequences of her actions, not only to myself but also to all of us; she had caused a certain commotion with her refusal to accept her new life and that meant more for all of us to worry about. Like we didn't have enough on our plates... She made what should have been a successful operation and somewhat smooth transition into a very chaotic event when she could have just taken what had been offered to her with humility and gratitude.

The atmosphere of the library calmed me, however, and gradually the high ceilings, combined with the smell of old paper and leather helped me to see through my heartache.

She had no long-term vision, I had to remind myself. Her dull human life was all she had ever known and she could not recognise nor comprehend the grandeur of what had been given to her. After a few hours of pacing the corridors in our library my grief slowly diminished and I could feel sympathy for her again. She was obviously still acting out of her fear of the unknown and had no proper notion of time. All her afflictions were so very immediate and so ephemeral... She might not even realise how much she hurt me by leaving the castle.

Even as I reminded myself of her human limitations, I still couldn't completely forgive her. She should recognise those limitations as well and let us decide for her. We were older and wiser, she should have known her place and just taken our word, especially Aro's - he who could know everything there was to know about a person and who knew everything that ever passed through her mind. How could she not see that?

She can't see it because she is plagued by the arrogance of the youth.

We should have knocked it out of her before she caused trouble.

Eventually, I faintly heard someone making their way to the library and organised the books back on their shelves, planning on leaving before they arrived. I was already quite far from there when I was found and it became clear that they were not headed to the library, but to wherever I happened to be. Demetri, Chelsea and Corin cornered me and exchanged worried glances.

Oh God, is this an intervention?

I believed I couldn't feel more ashamed than I did after my public meltdown but I was wrong. When Chelsea scanned my face with eyes full of pity I had to fight the urge to run and hide from her. I shoved my hands into my pockets to prevent me from fidgeting but clenched my jaw against my best judgement.

"Alec, we worry for you. Are you sure you don't want to talk?"

"I already feel better."

She took my hands from my pockets and enveloped them with hers.

"Aro has sent me to talk to you," she admitted. "I told him there is nothing to worry about, but he wanted to be sure. How do you feel right now?"

"I'm mad at her. But mostly I'm afraid she will not come back unharmed."

"I can feel her now," Demetri informed me. "She is in Alaska. Didn't die on the streets like a dog... not so far, at least." He alluded to the worries I voiced before we watched the footage from the surveillance cameras and I was too relieved to even be bothered by the joke.