Aftermath

Life would not be the same from that night on. I was trying to accept that as I gathered up the courage to leave my bed and go on about my day. I could never look at Alec in the same way I once did even if he apologised and reverted to his calm and collected self around me. I could no longer walk home alone after work with the same peace of mind I once had. I couldn't even face Luke after what happened even if Alec's words were nothing but hollow threats, not even if Luke chose to forgive me. Everything was different and I was still wearing my shoes and hiding under my covers like they could protect me from the viciousness of men.

I never before had felt so small and powerless. The thrill I experienced when I was able to protect myself from the drunk customer was long gone, almost forgotten. I was a pathetic little girl, crying all the time, missing her mother's embrace and her father's comforting cooking. I wanted to skip all my classes for the day and stay in my room resting and thinking of how I could even talk to Luke about what happened. I still could get called back to the station to be questioned again and God I just wanted to put everything that happened that night behind me and not deal with its aftermath but I knew I couldn't. I was about to cry again when I heard the door that separated my room from the bathroom being locked. I finally left my bed to knock on it.

"Nat? Can we talk after you finish there?"

I heard her unlocking the door.

"Must be important, you never interrupt my morning poop" she joked but soon she got a look at my face "fucking shit, what in God's name happened to you?"

"You can poop first."

"Girl, the poop just went all the way back, what the hell?"

I laughed weakly and watched as she sat on my bed. She was still in her pyjamas and her long brown hair was tied up in her usual bedtime updo. I sat by her side.

"It's a lot and I really need to get it out so just listen until I am finished, ok? Then you can ask me whatever."

"Shoot, girlfriend."

I told her everything from the beginning of my shift to the moment I got to my room. She made countless weird faces through all of the story but besides cursing and gasping she really let me speak without interruptions. By the end of it I could tell she was just as incredulous as I was with everything.

"I have..." she finally said when she was sure I was done "no words."

Ironic, I thought.

"That boy was so nice."

"Yeah."

"But then I guess he is really not?"

"Figures."

"Marina, you can't break up with Luke over this." She raised a hand when I opened my mouth to retort "I know you are scared. And a little disgusted, I mean I am too, you kissed a kid. But you have to tell Luke exactly what happened, like you just did to me. You were already feeling like a horrible person when you kissed Alec because of the thing with the dude that attacked you. You fucked up but you have to tell him all of it, not just about the kiss. You need to tell him what Alec did to you so you two can decide together what to do about it, ok?"

"What if he does get hurt?"

"You think he could really kill Luke?" She frowned. "Luke is almost twice as tall as he is and about ten years older. You think this boy works for the Mafia?" She found the idea funny but her joke made me unsure about saying what I was preparing myself to say.

"Ok, I am going to say something else and I need you to swear on your life and on the life of everyone you hold dear that you will never repeat it to a single soul."