The Blankness

Aeolus stood, and picked up River.

"It would be best if we left before bringing her out of stasis."

"Why?"

"Seeing a place from the memories we erased might cause them to come back." he rubbed his arm with his hand like he was cold. "Handling your power, it- it- felt- strange? Good? I'm not sure, but I'm not ready to do it again." I nodded with understanding.

"Alright, you take her through, I will wake up the rest of the house." I said opening another portal back to the woods.

"You are getting pretty good at that." he said, smiling as he walked through the portal. I turned back towards the door of what had been River's room, I lifted the stasis, then staggered, my vision darkening. I sent a fleeting thought to Aeolus' mind, before passing out. Help.

When I woke up the next morning, I was in my tent, back at the clearing. The gentle breeze brought the smell of pine to my tent. I tried to sit up, but instantly got lightheaded and had to lay back down. I lay there for a few minutes, trying to gather my strength to stand. After a while, my head felt clearer, and I sat up again. I still felt lightheaded, but it was a bit more manageable. I walked out of my tent, bracing myself on one of the poles that held it up. I blinked at the bright early morning light, and looked around at the campsite. It had been upgraded. A stone table and benches that looked like they had been taken right out of the forest was in the center of the clearing. A firepit with a cooking spit had been set up, as well as a third tent. My mind was still a little fuzzy as I tried to remember who the tent was for. Then Aeolus came jogging over. That is who the tent is for, River, his sister. I thought to myself. Aeolus paused just in front of me. His eyes were full of concern.

"Are you alright? It's been a few days-" I nodded, then paused

"How many days?"

"Three, I'm worried about River, She has been in stasis the entire time." The day's events came rushing back to me, my house, Aeolus' family. River being an elemental. I started to walk toward the third tent and stumbled. Aeolus caught and steadied me.

"Take it easy, you need to eat, and drink."

"But River-"

"I already have stuff ready for you, you eat and drink, then bring her out of stasis." he led me to the table, and told me to sit. I did as he said.

"I'm guessing you made this?" I asked, rapping my knuckles on the stone table.

"Yeah." He came over with a hotdog and a bottle of water. "Here. Eat, and drink."

"Okay dad." he winced, and I realized it might be a little too soon for that. "Sorry." he shook his head and shrugged.

"It's fine, I'm fine."

"I don't think you are..."

"Just drop it, ok?" I drew back, and he sighed. "Sorry, sorry. I'm just really worried about you and River."

"I will be fine, don't worry. I'm worried about River too." he nodded, but seemed distracted, there was pain in his eyes. And I knew he must be thinking about his family.

"Aeolus- are you sure you don't want me to do something about the memories?" He sighed

"I don't know... I feel like one of us should be able to remember them."

"I'm not going to erase the memories, just the pain they cause." he hesitated, then nodded.

"Ok, but you promise you won't erase any of the memories?"

"I promise." he nodded again, and I dropped into his mind. He had done a good job hiding the pain on the outside, even though some of it did leak through. On the inside, it was much worse. Pain filled every memory of him and River, him and his Parents, and even memories with my family. I concentrated on the pain, clearing it, but leaving the memories alone. I could see him relax a little. I left small bits of the pain, we need pain, it's what makes us human, and despite the fact that we were these crazy guardian people, I still wanted us to be human. I left his mind. The pain in his eyes was gone, it had been replaced with gratitude.