𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞...

❝ baby, you get the best of me

whatever is left for me
stretchin' like elastic,
every little bit of me stretchin.
anything less, you won't accept-
so i give you the best of me❞

***

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐯.
𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

the ever-so slightly dim room smelled gently of rosemary, lifting the spirit with it's calming, delicate scent that emitted directly from the lit candle on the scholar's desk who was doing what he usually did- stuffing his head into a book. this time, it was based on the recent lessons he had learned during his extra courses- the ones for college students of course, but he had many of those. if he kept his track, then two years of college would be all that was required of jae, who didn't often like to acknowledge his exceptional mind that was like no other, but the prestigious schools already fighting over him most definitely did. they'd be fools not to- even the way that his slender, pale fingers gently turned the page of his coursebook showed the dedication he had, and the great focus furrowed on his completely unfazed features.

still, it was a bit hard to focus with his boyfriend peering over his shoulder like he had been for the past hour. no words, no sounds, no interruptions- just simply staring, which distracted him more than indigo probably thought speaking would.

"..indigo?" the younger boy murmured, a slight confusion sparkled over his incredibly pretty features as he turned around, meeting the boy's eyes who sat in his bed.
"yes?" the other boy responded, as if he could not tell what jae could've possibly been wondering about.
"did you need something?"

indigo blinked over at the boy before simply shaking his head, his dark eyes fairly light and swirling with a slight curiosity he could not dull.

was indigio smart?

sure. most definitely- when it came to measuring grams, picking locks, learning when to wake up just before the teacher caught you, and reading people's personalities. if perhaps, the boy who went to school to sleep, smoke, and sleep some more had actually applied himself, then his true abilites would've been able to shine- the ones that earned him a's and b's when he actually tried but most of the time he did not even try to try. what was the point anyways?

to get into college? a nice, law school or maybe nursing school? to study to become a doctor and save others, when he could barely save himself? please. a black, intersex gay boy who knew nothing but the life that others tried to save their children from, that knew nothing but the very end of the food chain, that had never seen true luxury or wealth, that had been in not only one, but two systems his whole life didn't have time to dream about that shit.

now, someone like jae- a straightfoward, intelligent boy who was deemed "suitable" for society- who may have been gay, but could hide it easily; who had grown up next to a therapist ready to take care of all his needs, who had seen nothing but the suburbs and their pearly white fences, who hadn't seen murder first-hand and who still had a rather naive take on the world, and how it treats one had a chance to make it. of course, it would be harder for him, someone who had came to america and would never be able to actually vote like most of the people he knew, because even after registering as a "citizen" his people were still poorly treaten- but the opportunities indigo could've dreamt up were right at his fingertips.