Chapter 15 I "My exams were two weeks ago."

A gentle touch on my shoulder wakes me up suddenly and I realize that I must have fallen asleep sometime during our ride back. After we left my grandma's house we listened to some music, talked but I eventually fell asleep. Now that I see we were back at Chace's mom's place, I felt bad for my behaviour. The time showed we drove for almost five hours, and I left Chace alone for the last two of them. "Sorry." I mumble when he stands by the passenger door after he woke me up, apologizing for my behaviour. It really wasn't fair.

"Come on, my mom has dinner ready." He announces and before I get to question him, Gabriella storm out of the house, running into my arms. When I picked her up in my arms, she makes me giggle when she tells me how much she missed me apparently and urges me to get inside, so she can show me the new toy she just got. Mrs. Donovan greets us from her position in the doorway, stating that we had to hurry up, so our food won't get cold. I wasn't prepared to have dinner with them, but I wouldn't let this chance slide. Chace waits for me and then the three of us go inside the huge house. Each time I am here, I seem to admire how beautiful the house was. The place I grew up in never was this organized because of the many people that lived here, but this huge house with only three people was always so cosy and homy.

"How was your weekend?" Mrs. Donovan asks us after she served all of us food that smelled absolutely heavenly. After the long drive I was very hungry, so this was perfect. Chace offers her a one-word answer that she wasn't pleased with before I answer all of her questions she wants to know. I don't go into detail about everything and just let her know about the ceremony, dinner and the trip we took to the waterfall. "I hope Chace behaved himself." She snickers.

"Mom." Chace groaned at his mother's statement which has me smiling.

"Oh no, my brothers were the one's who didn't behave." I tell her, since Chace has been nothing but perfect all weekend. Obviously, she wants to know what I mean by this, so I tell her about the nice welcome they planned when we arrived, and she just chuckled. "I'm still surprised Chace didn't run the first chance he got." I end my story. If I had been in his position, I sure would have turned the car around instantly. For the remaining time of dinner, Gabby starts talking about something she did on the weekend but ends up not making much sense when she just gets overwhelmed by all the things she wants to say, which was very cute to watch. Chace who sat next to me didn't seem to pay much attention to his sister, but when her glass was empty, he immediately filled it again for her, making me think back to the conversation we had. This was just a small gesture, but I know he understands that keeping away from her is far worse than the stupid fear of hurting her.

"You guys should go rest a little after the long drive and I do the dishes." Mrs. Donovan tells us, but I wouldn't accept that and just get up with her to help her. She already made dinner; it was the least I could do. "Chace can you go help Gabby to get ready for bed then?" She asks and I see Chace nod his head simply. An excited giggle leaves the little girl's mouth when she grabs his head, pulling Chace upstairs with him. "You really don't have to do this, Lucy. Feel free to go upstairs with Chace." She offers.

"It's fine, I don't mind helping." I smile at her and gather all the cutlery from the table. As we clean everything up together, I tell her about Felix and how excited he was when he visited college again and she tells me what great students the two of us were.

"You two are just so ambitious, it's remarkable." She compliments. "I hope my letter of recommendation put that into the right words?" She asks but has me confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask, drying one of the glasses.

"The letter of recommendation. Did it fulfil your expectation?" She asks and pauses to look at me. My surprised and speechless reaction causes her to frown after a few seconds when she understands that I had no idea what she was talking about. I knew I'd get that letter for tutoring Chace, but we weren't done with it yet, so I expected to get in by the end of this semester. "I told Chace to give it to you a few weeks ago after he was done with his exams." She states and her words make me freeze.