FORTY FOUR

It was still nippy out despite it being the tail end of UK spring. While it was definitely quite a bit warmer than what it would've been in Calgary, she had finally acclimated to UK weather and she was afraid she wasn't dressed for it. A stupid move for someone who always preached how you could easily dress for -30° C, she should really not have been so cocky.

She also should've accepted Cal's offer to drive her; but she was still kind of sulking at the fact that Harry had not asked if she needed picking up. She knew the shop was just a couple of blocks away and it wasn't like she was a princes in need of a carriage; but she thought it would've still been nice is he bothered to ask.

You're being so stupid! She mentally scolded herself, trying not to let her mind jump into conclusions.

Except Harry had been so off and weird the past couple of days that she just couldn't help it. If anything she had been pretty proud of herself for not (yet) setting off despite the mental torture she had been putting herself through, imagining worst case scenarios as Harry continued to be weird with her.

Was he cheating? Did she scare him off with her last unexpected outburst? Has she officially overstayed her welcome?

And just as she was about to spiral, Alex walked into a pub. It was still over forty minutes before she had to meet Harry, so it was a welcome pit stop.

With the time being 3:12 in the afternoon on a Monday, the pub wasn't busy yet. Just a touch too early for the after-work crowd, but just in time for happy hour. She found a seat at the empty far-side of the bar, and was happy to see the guest login to the wifi.

Alex ordered—yes, you've probably guessed it—a double shot of tequila and a pint. Perfect for numbing her anxious mind, and just enough so she could let loose.

She opened her messages to message her best friend. Hoping she'd luck out and they could actually catch each other. It's been a minute since they've texted in real time—often responding to each other a few hours late due to the time difference.

Stella

Need you.
Please be available.

Alex audibly sighed a sigh of relief as she watched three dots dance on her screen.

Stella

Hey boo!
What's up?

I think I'm going crazy.
I need you to help me feel
sane.

Why?
Because I'm even more crazy?

Yes.
And because  you know
what I'm like... and how
to reel be  back to reason.

The three promising dancing dots showed up then stopped. Alex's heart momentarily sank just before Stella's name popped on her screen, showing an incoming call.

"Hey babe! My sausage fingers were making it impossible to type fast enough. Can you talk?" came Stella's voice.

Alex reached into her pockets for her old, first generation AirPods, popping them into her ears, "Yeah."

"So what's going on?" Stellas asked, pausing to give Alex time to speak.

There was a deep sigh, "I think I'm driving myself crazy. I don't know. Maybe I just needed a girl to talk to."

"Boobie, I've been missing you too!" Stella squealed, "But are you okay? What's up?"

"I don't know." the hesitation was evident on her voice. Anybody would've been able to hear it, even a stranger.