Chapter 1

Five Months Later

"You know, you would think that after all this time and what we have endured, that we would be, oh, I don't know, happier and more accepting to the possibilities of what this life or a mortal life has to offer instead of doing this" Thalia says as she struggled to pull her knife out of a tree, while Desdemona sat at the far end watching her.

"And yet, you still haven't learned how to be quiet and just do as told," Melaina says training with both her swords on the other far side of the open forest, while Achlys sat by Desdemona. "Asking for permission from Hera was a big ask and I can't fail this. I have to avenge my father and do it right this time"

"Right, because last time you wrongly accused him of killing your mom," Thalia says not thinking. "Which ended in me dying and you killing him, only to shock us all by learning he was innocent all this time"

"Thalia!?" She scowled with a gasped, losing her grip on the sword.

"Oh sorry, rough topic?" Melaina didn't answer her as she grabbed her swords and walked off into the distance in the direction of their house.

As another gift to them, the gods had allowed the town's people to build the two a home. Both the exterior and interior of the house is not new wood pieces but something old and rugged, due to Melaina not wanting to stand out even with Thalia protesting.

The lonely house in the forest had a fern plant carpet on the floor around it. There was a small tower that projected from the wall of the lonely house, where birds nested. The window sill of the house was framed with creepers. The moonlight shone on its door, dark stairs and its empty hall. The old house is the sanity of these hills, the ever-present home amid such change.

"Hey, I'm sorry for what I said back there," Thalia says coming in after her, but standing only in the doorway as Melaina roamed around the living room. "I don't think before speaking, clearly"

"Mhm obviously," Melaina says agreeing with her, sitting down her swords as she sat on the couch, but having an attitude now. When she saw Thalia's expression, her tone softened. "I'm sorry, I am still learning how to not be as reactive and aggressive"

"Clearly," she says with a smile, indicating that she's not upset but now in a playful mood. Melaina let out a chuckle with a nod as Thalia came inside more with the two Cerberus following after her.

"I just still haven't forgiven myself" her voice was low but loud enough for the other woman to hear her.

Thalia didn't say anything for a minute contemplating her words carefully. She stood still debating on if she should speak from afar or move closer to her for comfort.

Moving over to her, she sat down on the coffee table, placing her hand on Melaina's knee. "I know, you haven't. I may not have said anything about it like you haven't, but I see the way you treat me now, versus back then. You're now more self-aware when it comes to my emotions and well-being. The way you're more expressive to me says a lot"

"What does that mean?"

"Right, you're still learning about our terminology and things. I don't know how I keep forgetting that" she says though it was more to herself. She was cut off by Melaina.

"What does expressing myself now have to do with you? What does it say?"

"Huh, oh just that you care about me," she says with a careless shrug.

"Just trying to make sure my partner is ok" making a sour face she stood up from her spot.

"Because you care about me" Thalia pushed, knowing she was right.