1.8

Jeremy Mckinnon

Jeremy Mckinnon

1977

Gloria Gaynor- I Will Survive

I spent the following days avoiding Sirius. Which proved to be harder than I thought, seeing as we were both Marlene's guests. Thankfully he hadn't told her about what happened, just that we had a disagreement. But Marlene wouldn't be Marlene if she didn't keep pushing us to share what really happened. 'So are you going to tell me or not?' 'Marlene, just drop it.' Sirius said. 'No, I want to know what's going on, why are you guys acting like this?' I sighed, 'Sirius teased me about not having a date for the party.' I lied. 'As a joke of course.' Sirius added. 'Well it didn't feel like that.' Marlene placed her hand on my shoulder, 'Eira, Sirius just doesn't understand that you don't need a date to have a good time. And if he keeps pestering you, he won't have one either.'

The theme of the party was glam disco, so it was safe to say I had to borrow an outfit from Marlene's closet. 'You should wear this, Eira, it'll look marvellous,' Marlene was holding a jumpsuit covered in dark blue sequences, 'and we'll match perfectly.' in her other hand she held up an identical jumpsuit but in pink. 'I don't even want to know where you got these from.' 'Good, cause I'm not sharing my secrets. So you'll wear it?' 'Do I have a choice?' 'Of course not, now let's start getting ready.' 'Whatever you say, master.' I joked while doing a curtsy.

When we arrived downstairs, the party was already well on its way. By the looks from the guests, it was quite obvious we had been the only ones to really go out with our attire. Marlene didn't mind, she quite liked the attention. Sirius came over to us and complimented our outfits, Marlene gave him a peck on the cheek as a sign of gratitude while I did my best not to scowl at him. Then they went to get us drinks, while I waited around. Most of the guests were older so I didn't really know them, although I did recognise a few as Jeremy's friends from school. I spotted Jeremy sitting in the corner with a woman and three men, they seemed deep in conversation. Jeremy looked up and caught me staring and motioned me over. 'Don't tell me my sister has already ran off with Black?' 'No, they just went to the drinks table.' 'Guys.' The group stopped talking and looked up at Jeremy, who stood up from his seat on the couch and placed his hand on the small of my back. His touch felt warm on my skin. 'This is Eira, a friend of my sisters.' The girl was the first to offer her hand which I shook, 'Wicked outfit Eira, I'm Dorcas Meadows.' 'Thank you Dorcas, I quite like your boa.' She smiled at me while shimming her boa around, she motioned at the two men sitting on the other sofa, 'That's Edgar Bones and Fabian Prewett.' they both nodded at me. Jeremy moved over so I could sit next to him. 'So Eira, how's Hogwarts these days?' Dorcas asked. 'Same as always, if I didn't read the paper I wouldn't even know there's a war going on.' 'That's good.' Jeremy said which caused Edgar to scoff. 'Is it though? The fact of the matter is there is a war going on and hiding it from the students is not going to make it go away.' 'So what do you propose Dumbledore does?' Jeremy asked. 'He needs to make sure they're ready, because as soon as they leave Hogwarts he won't be there to protect them.' It scared me to hear Edgar talk like that. I think Jeremy noticed my discomfort because he squeezed my knee for comfort. 'If it were up to Edgar, Dumbledore would be making soldiers of all Hogwarts students.' Dorcas said. 'If it were up to me there would be less lying, not only by Dumbledore.' I had never thought of Professor Dumbledore as a liar but Edgar seemed pretty convinced. 'If you don't mind me asking, what does Dumbledore lie about?' I hesitantly asked. Edgar touched his beard, 'The question you should have asked Eira is what hasn't he lied about? He acts mysterious but in reality he's holding back the facts. Every conversation had with the man filled with riddles and metaphors. I truly believe he knows the solution to this whole shitshow but he so desperately wants us to find it ourselves that he watches thousands of muggleborns die in the hopes that one day we might learn some sort of lesson from this all.' 'So what do you suggest we do, Edgar? Torture the man for answers?' Jeremy joked. 'What we need to do is stop waiting, waiting for our elders to solve this problem. Sure they may have been at the start of this problem, but we must put a stop to it. We have some of the brightest witches and wizards in our generation. Leila Robins possesses charm work like no other, Caradoc Dearborn has never lost a duel and then there's Madeye Moody. That man is a force to be reckoned with. I could name ten others including you three,' Edgar motioned to Dorcas, Jeremy and Fabian. 'With the skills and intelligence that could easily take down those bloody death eaters. But we're young and therefore unqualified. But trust me the sooner they realise how useful we could really be, the better.'