1.5

Mazzy Star - Fade into you
'I wanna hold the hand inside you
I wanna take the breath that's true'

1977

The next day was the last day of school before Christmas break. When I arrived in the common room last night Marlene was waiting for me on the couch. Drunk she scolded me on how I was the worst date ever. However when she noticed my bloodshot eyes she immediately sobered up a bit and wanted to know where I disappeared to. I quickly made up a lie on how I spent the night puking in the girls' bathroom, which she thankfully believed. I know I could of told Marlene but strangely I was embarrassed. Embarrassed by the fact that I wasn't good enough for my father that he had to start a second family. Marlene had this perfect family and I knew that she would comfort me but she would never really understand. Regulus on the other hand, he knew how your family could just as well be the cause of a heartbreak.

After Marlene I had to deal with Adeola and Zaina, they had a big row about Diggory, and I had to play the role of mediator. So to say I was tired the next day would be an understatement. I purposely skipped breakfast to catch up on as much sleep as I could.

Nervous, I started getting ready for potions. I wondered how Regulus would act in class, would he go right back to ignoring me or did last night change anything because for me it did.

I was the first to arrive at potions, seeing as the others were still having breakfast. Anxiously I took my seat and started reading through my textbook, hoping to distract myself somewhat. When the others started to trickle into the classroom, I occasionally glanced at the door. Just when I thought he wasn't going to show up as a breath of fresh air he appeared in the doorway. As one of the last students Regulus entered the room, nervous to catch his gaze I quickly returned my eyes to my book. Then I noticed him taking the seat next to me, I glanced over to him, with a slight smile, which he returned. I couldn't concentrate while Slughorn started explaining the coursework we had to do during our break because my mind was too focused on Regulus. Absentmindedly I placed my arm on the table next to Regulus'. I hadn't realised how close they were, but I didn't want to move mine. Even though I was wearing layers of clothing I felt goosebumps. The only exposed skin our hands, my fingers inched closer to his, but not yet touching. I tried to focus on what Slughorn was saying but my mind kept bringing me back to Regulus. Then I felt his fingers graze over mine, it felt like my whole body was on fire. I looked around to see if anyone had noticed that we were practically holding hands, but everyone's attention was on Slughorn. And honestly really care who saw, I was j I looked up to Regulus, wanting to see if he noticed what he was doing to me. He didn't meet my eyes but simply squeezed my hand. This action only fuelling the feeling I was feeling.

When class ended Regulus let my hand go, which was the sign to me that the moment had passed

When class ended Regulus let my hand go, which was the sign to me that the moment had passed. I quickly got my stuff together and hurried on to my next class. I didn't understand what had just happened, we went to fighting in the hallway to holding hands in class. So caught up in my thoughts I didn't realise Regulus was walking next to me.