9

31 years ago - Seoul, South Korea. 

Miyeon was fourteen when she first met Soojin, who was only ten, maybe eleven, years old; She was shy, very shy, and her voice could barely go above a whisper and she trembled at any eye contact, and despite not doing much she had all of Shuhua's attention on her and on anything she did; That made her jealous, plain and simple.- She was used to the default scenario, she was the first unnie, the favorite and the center of the youngest's attention, she was the one who would sneak sweets under the table when aunt Suwei tried to cut sweets from Shuhua's diet, and she was the one who helped her with homework, especially her korean.

Now Soojin was taking her place, without doing much and Miyeon just followed and watched them interact, Shuhua was all over her space and talking non stop and she could tell how sometimes that seemed to overwhelm Soojin who could only bring herself to nod at whatever she said; It wasn't like Miyeon disliked Soojin, not really- She didn't have any strong opinions about the girl, unlike her parents who always said what was in their minds about the kid whenever the Yeh were too far away to hear. 

She knew that as long as Shuhua wanted the kid around, she would stay around, and She also knew, from listening to the grown ups talk, that Uncle Huang was paying the orphanage to not let anyone adopt her because that meant Shuhua wouldn't be able to play with her anymore, especially when they leave in business trips.

"You look like a Barbie." Miyeon tells Nicha as they stood near each other in the golf course, the bright green grass made Nicha stand out with her white skirt and pink polo shirt with her initials on the chest, the dyed blonde hair proving her point; She was contrasting to Miyeon's navy blue, long-sleeved shirt and white shorts. Both had matching white shoes. "Golf Themed."

Nicha winked. "Are you my Ken, then?"

Miyeon blinked twice. "I walked straight into that one, huh?"

The other laughed and nodded. 

"I thought you didn't like golf."

"I don't, But is still entertaining watching our dads fail to make Uncle Huang improve his skills." She comments as they watch the man swing and miss the tiny ball, he was always bad at the game; She glanced at Shuhua who was currently tossing the balls across the field like it was baseball instead of golf, Soojin was next to her, holding the club bag and staring at what the younger did with wide eyes. 

"Shuhua-" Miyeon called. "That 's not-... You're not supposed to toss the balls with your hands."

"Hey, at least Soojin is already training for her future job." Nicha jokes, watching the other kid pick some of the balls on the floor. "Alright, this is how you do it, brats." She says, walking towards them. 

"You gonna teach us, Nicha?" Shuhua asked, excited and the older one pinched her cheek. "ouch-"

"Nicha?"

"Unnie! Unnie!" The younger one corrected herself as the older released her and then stood next to the tee, holding her hot pink club. "You're just 13 anyways-"

"I'm 13 and a half!" The girl argued before swinging the club back, before going forward again, hitting the ball far away before turning to the trio and holding her fingers up into a peace sign. 

"Me too! Me too!" Shuhua said running towards Nicha so the girl could teach her, Miyeon looked at Soojin who seemed to notice her gaze.

"Do you want me to teach you too?" Soojin shyly nodded and then followed the older girl; Miyeon still felt jealous at the end of the day, but she had learned to like Soojin, probably not as much as Shuhua does, but it was a start.