14

Miyeon had only been to Soojin's orphanage once.

It was a Saturday morning and after Shuhua's soccer practice they went straight to the orphanage for Huang's monthly donation; He liked bringing the girls along as a way to set a good example for them, Shuhua especially as she hated sharing anything she has no matter how many times her father would scold her about it and how being selfish was bad; Miyeon was surprised by the number of kids she saw on the orphanage when they arrived, it was far more kids than she imagined, a lot of them seemed to be around 10 to 14 years old.

People didn't like adopting, it's what she had heard; Bringing a stranger's child into your house was something most people seemed to dread, and most believe one couldn't really love an adopted child like it was their biological one, as for the kids that were adopted most of them are babies and toddlers as it was easier to let them think they aren't adopted; Once Soojin turned 6, she was considered old enough to remember being an orphan and so people didn't bother adopting a kid they couldn't trick into forgetting about it.

During that specific visit, Shuhua had stayed in the car while Miyeon and Huang made their way inside to meet one of the nuns that took care of the place; She was a middle-aged woman, and her hair was almost turning white.

"Huang-Ssi" They all bowed to each other. "You're early!"

"I wanted to come as soon as possible."He turned to Miyeon, touching her shoulder. "This is Miyeon, a friend's daughter; She came with me and Shuhua today."

"Ah, Little Shuhua" The woman smiled. "Where is she?"

"In the car." The man replied. "She's into a very moody phase" The explanation makes the woman chuckle. "Well, let's go to your office" He then said.

"Of course, follow me"

He turned to Miyeon.

"Wait for me here, ok?"

"Yes, Uncle."

She walked around the courtyard as the two adults made their way inside, the grass was almost gone from the kids playing across it, there were some puddles of water and mud across the place, but that didn't seem to bother the kids running and playing, some liked running around while other would rather stick to their toys or drawings by the picnic tables under the trees; She turns a corner on the right side of the building and notices an open window, Huang's voice coming from it.

She wasn't one to eavesdrop, but curiosity got the better of her, and slowly, avoiding the small branches on the ground, she made her way closer and crouched near the big window, listening to them talk, it seemed serious by the way Huang talked to the woman.

"A man will come." He warned the nun. "He'll ask about any young girl that was born in 98, and I want you to not tell him about Soojin."

Miyeon frowned, confused by that but kept on listening.

"I don't understand." The woman replied.

"You remember the woman that dropped Soojin here?" He asked.

"Her mother... I remember her, she was so young...." The woman said, she could still remember the girl with short hair, and hazel eyes desperate to give her child away, her clothes were fancy and she was driving an expensive car so the woman knew this baby wasn't being given away due to the lack of resources to raise her, but something else.

"Yes, her..." Huang sighed. "Her husband might be after Soojin nowadays, and I fear for her safety." He told her. "That man is... dangerous, he would never accept his wife had another child before their wedding."