chapter 27

“Jaehyun let the little boy go and the judge will give you a lighter sentence,” Officer Kang Daniel said.

“Do you think I’m stupid?” Jaehyun asked. “You’ll shoot me if I let the little boy go.”

“Jaehyun if you let the little boy, my colleagues will grant your requests,” Officer Kang negotiated.

“Bring me one hundred thousand in cash right now!” Jaehyun demanded.

Officer Kang whispered an order to his juniors.

A short while later, a junior officer brought a bag to the carpark.

“Officer Kang, I brought the money,” the junior officer said.

Officer Kang intended to use the excuse of bringing money to Jaehyun to unarm Jaehyun, but Jaehyun refused to let him approach.

“Don’t move!” Jaehyun said to Officer Kang.

Jaehyun looked around him and saw Jennie protecting Leo.

“Let that little boy bring the money to me,” Jaehyun said.

Leo was scared of Jaehyun would shoot Woo Jin. But he looked at his dad’s calm face and felt less scared. He slowly stepped toward Officer Kang.

“Be careful,” Officer Kang whispered to Leo.

“What are you whispering?” Jaehyun asked. “Hurry up and bring the money here!”

Jaehyun pressed the gun onto Woo Jin’s face, and Woo Jin was too scared to move.

Leo carried the bag of money and stepped slowly toward Jaehyun.

He was worried Woo Jin would faint.

“Uncle, why don’t you let Woo Jin go and take me instead?” Leo asked. “Uncle, look how scared Woo Jin is. What are you going to do if he dies of a fright? If you lose a hostage the policemen won’t let you leave.”

“Leo!” Lisa called.

Lisa taught her son to be a courageous person. But she didn’t mean he should offer himself as a hostage. Her husband held her hand and shook his head so she didn’t say anything else.

Jaehyun looked at Woo Jin who looked frightened to death and thought what Leo said was true. The cops would shoot him if he lost a hostage.

“Little boy come here,” Jaehyun said to Leo “Don’t do any tricks.”

“Uncle, I’m just a little boy,” Leo said. “What can I do to hurt uncle?”

Jaehyun pushed Woo Jin to Mr. Moon and grabbed Leo.

"she’ll be the driver,” Jaehyun said and pointed at Lisa. Lisa’s hands trembled.

“Don’t be scared,” Jennie said calmly to Lisa.

Lisa took a deep breath and Jennie’s calmness helped her compose herself.

“Hurry up and get in the car!” Jaehyun ordered Lisa.

Lisa quickly sat in Jaehyun’s car in the driver’s seat, and Jaehyun shoved Leo onto the backseat.

“Hurry up and drive,” Jaehyun said. “Don’t try any funny business or I’ll shoot your son.”

Lisa turned on the engine and reversed out of the carpark. When she drove past her husband, she looked into his calm eyes and trusted him, he would save her and their son.

The moment Lisa drove off, Officer Kang ordered the cops to chase after Jaehyun’s car, and Jennie called Mino.

“Activate the GPS tracking device on Leo’s watch,” Jennie instructed Mino. "tell Mina and the others to chase after Leo and bring a sports car here within two minutes.”

“Yes boss,” Mino said and hung up.

Mino didn’t ask any questions. He understood from the rare subtle panicked tone in Jennie’s voice that something bad must have happened to Leo.

##

Inside Jaehyun’s car, Leo discreetly input codes into his watch to communicate with to Mino.

“Drive faster,” Jaehyun ordered Lisa.

“It’s a residential zone,” Lisa said and stopped at the red light.

“Run the red light,” Jaehyun said and checked if cops were still behind them.

Lisa running the red light before stepping on the accelerator. The cars at the intersection braked and Lisa drove past them.

“Where do you want me to drive to?” Lisa asked.

"to the southern ferry port terminal,” Jaehyun said.

Leo input the destination coordinates into his watch.

Mino received Leo’s coded message and reported to Jennie.

“Boss, young master said that they’re heading to the southern ferry port terminal,” Mino said.

##

After Lisa drove to the terminal, it was pouring rain and more than ten black cars were waiting for them at the terminal.

Jennie and Mina arrived before the cops. While Jaehyun was distracted, Mina navigated behind shipping containers to ambush Jaehyun.

“After I arrive at a safe place, I’ll let this little boy go,” Jaehyun said. “But if any of you make a false move, I’ll shoot the little boy.”

Apart from the paranoid Jaehyun, everyone else could see Mina standing on top of a shipping container behind Jaehyun.

Mina winked at Leo and he slowly nodded his head. He saw his dad signal Mina then she jumped onto Jaehyun and his dad pulled him to safety.

Mina pressed one of her knees on Jaehyun’s back, and restrained Jaehyun’s arms and legs.

"stop moving!” Mina said to Jaehyun.

“I’ll leave the rest to you,” Jennie said to Mina.

“Yes boss,” Mina said.

Jennie wanted to quickly take his wife and son home, but the cops arrived and prevented him from leaving.

"thank you for capturing the criminal,” Officer Kang said. “But I need to escort you to the police station. It’s illegal for you to carry a gun.”

Jennie dismissed Officer Kang’s request. He led his wife and son to a sports car. When Officer Kang ran to the driver’s seat, he gave Officer Kang a business card.

“I don’t know what you and your officers were doing while on duty,” Jennie said. “But you allowed a criminal to escape with a gun to a public place. I’ll ask someone to investigate this matter.”

Officer Kang looked in disbelief at the business card while Jennie sped off with his wife and son. On the business card was a private contact number of the head of the national security department.