chapter 29

Lisa’s intuition told her that the woman in black wanted to harm her.

She felt like ever since she met Jennie, her luck went downhill.

“Miss, we need your cooperation,” Irene said.

Lisa understood Irene’s undertone warned her that if she didn’t cooperate then Irene and the guards would use force to search her.

“In every casino there are wins and losses,” Lisa said. “Is it wrong for me to win?”

Irene had the backing of one of the casino’s directors, she wasn’t intimidated by anyone in the casino, especially a young woman like Lisa who dressed like a country bumpkin in a plain T-shirt and ripped jeans. She was used to dealing with all kinds of swindlers.

"search her,” Irene said.

Two men held onto Lisa’s arms, and another man was about to rip off Lisa’s shirt. Lisa’s eyes became teary. Apart from the thought of losing Leo, she didn’t cry. But in that moment she felt violated and helpless.

Mark Tuan heard a commotion, and he walked into the private room.

“I’m sorry,” Mark Tuan said. “I walked into the wrong room.”

Lisa saw the young man, he wasn’t as handsome as Jennie but he was a pretty boy too and her last hope.

“Don’t go,” Lisa pleaded.

Mark Tuan looked at Lisa’s teary doe eyes, and he felt his heart melted for the first time.

“Mr. Tuan, this is official casino business,” Irene said. “You don’t need to be involved. We have a policy to search anyone who plays dirty.”

“I didn’t,” Lisa said.

"the young lady said she didn’t play dirty,” Mark Tuan said. “Can you let her go now?”

Irene signalled the men to let go of Lisa, and she walked haughtily out of the room.

Lisa slumped on the floor. She was grateful to the young man who saved her in time. He offered his hand, and he smiled at her like Hanbin smiled at her except his smile was sincere. She accepted his hand, and he helped her stand.

"thank you,” Lisa said.

“You don’t need to be courteous,” Mark Tuan said.

Lisa was surprised Mark Tuan knew how to speak Mandarin.

"thank you, I’m Lisa,” Lisa said.

“Your name rolls off the tongue,” Mark Tuan said.

“How come you know how to speak Mandarin?” Lisa asked.

“My mom is from Beijing,” Mark Tuan said. “I’ll escort you outside.”

'‘thank you,” Lisa said.

After the ordeal at the casino, Lisa realised casinos were complicated playgrounds.

Mark Tuan escorted Lisa out of the private room. He spotted Jennie and Irene upstairs.

“Miss Manoban, the little boy upstairs is Ruby,” Mark Tuan said. “He’s one of the two famous bosses in the underworld. He’s also a pretty boy who stole many women’s hearts. But not long ago, he spontaneously got married.”

Lisa looked upstairs, Jennie had walked out of the VIP room.

She wondered if Mark Tuan was an acquaintance of Jennie.

“Let’s go,” Lisa said.

Lisa was excited to show Jennie the winnings she won with his gold card.

“Did you win the jackpot?” Mark Tuan asked.

“I don’t think so,” Lisa said. “It must be beginner’s luck.”

“You’re a lucky young lady,” Mark Tuan said.

Lisa thought the heavens were fair, with every win there was something unfortunate that happened to her.

“I don’t think I’m a lucky person,” Lisa said. “If you didn’t help me today then today would have been an unlucky day for me.”

Mark Tuan felt the woman in front of him was a loveable woman. He wondered if he fell in love at first sight.